It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 High flight at over 10,000 in my gyro 

I was mountain flying all week in my home town area. We were riding ridge lift and climbed up to 10100.
I had my son Carson with me and we saw a mountain lion. Very cool videos of the flight will be loaded later. It was my 912IS and IVO prop.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 am

Nose Bleed Country !

13,120 feet doing a power check on a Bell 205 . . . . :bunny

You know an R-44 is restricted to an altitude that permits a landing in two minutes maximum time for fire reasons.........

so you can't use it's full use at sea level areas..... :killme

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:45 am

My feet , fingers , and ass get all tingley at that altitude

Nice pic Des .... what is the "overdrive" light for ?? ... prerotator ??

thx

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:51 am
Site Admin

That is 10000 alright :)
:plike

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 am
Arnie....yes it's for the pre rotator...it allows you to bump the rotor til you align it front to back blade wise while it is under braking. I flew this and 2 other MTO's so I know what it is for.

Desmon....that's what I'm talking about....funny it doesn't seem that high in the picture....looks kewl from up there though.

:like

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:45 pm
Site Admin

Flying Wolverine wrote:
....funny it doesn't seem that high in the picture....looks kewl from up there though.

:like

I was thinking the same thing Wolvie, but the terrain at Brigham is nearly 4000' (1289m) so the ground is about 6000' under Desmons butt :eek :laughing :laughing I went to 14500' in my gyro at Moruya (Moruya is at sea level (well 20' ASL))....I just climbed until it ran out of puff and just sat in climbing attitude but wasn't climbing any more :laughing :laughing from there, I could see the curvature of the earth.... clearly, and the sky when I looked up at above the horizon was a purple/black color :eek I could see inversion layers below and it was late in the afternoon and could see the shadows getting longer and longer :koolaid ... the waves on the beach looked like tiny chop.... not surfable waves.... the people on the ground could only see me with binoculars (could still hear me tho) :rofl :rofl so, I got bored trying to climb any more, so I went over the airfield and did a 12000' vertical descent :laughing over the strip, (just a rev every 1000' to make sure it hadn't stopped or got too cold) :eek when I got down to 2000' I just powered up, joined downwind at about 1200' and usual landing.... the people on the ground watching said all they could see was a little grey dot like a pin head in the sky....(no trouble hearing it tho) then it went quiet except for the occasional squirt.... and the dot got bigger and bigger :laughing :laughing that was fun :like :koolaid What I do remember tho, is that it was really 'eerie' and it felt like I wasn't moving in the sky (felt like no airspeed) coz you cant see the ground moving below as a reference.... weird as :yoda2 :laughing

Well done Desmon.... you are obviously a Far Superior pilot :like :koolaid :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mo ... b490440c50

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Ok one more high altitude pic. Taken at 10000 feet above the snow line looking south from North Ogden toward Salt Lake.
Then another picture taken on the way home checking out the grave of Billy the Kid.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:20 pm
Very cool, and cold.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:44 pm

As I recall Dick Wunderlich flew his Gyro up to around 10,000 feet near the CHICAGO HEIGHTS VOR to see what it's maximum operating altitude was . He had a jumbo jet go below when it dawned on him that the CHICAGO HEIGHTS VOR was not the place to try this .
Now this was a long time ago and I could be really really wrong about this, but this is what I recall .

:Wolvie

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]