It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Gyro trailer damage 
Site Admin

elwood wrote:
Let me tell you a story....After I got to Bensen days, the gyro would not start, it was flooded, so after wearing myself out, decided to take the carbs off and blow out the crank case with compressed air to evaporate the gas, worked, started up and flew fine, next morning extremely hard to start again, once started flys fine, sat morning same thing....Norm seemed to think that i had a weak ignition box, fine i have a spare at the house. So i bring the gyro home and it has been a couple of weeks, been busy with work etc..So I put the blades on and did a good check over on the gyro, everything seems fine, So i blow out the crankcase again just to clear any gas that may have sloshed in there on the trailer, and it fires up just fine.
I changed the ign box and it starts up just fine again.
So today I decide to go fly, i fill it up with fresh gas and do a good preflight, get down to prerotate and hit the electric aux pump and the engine starts running rough?? OK turn the aux pump off and make a takeoff roll, I can't get over 5500rpm on the engine???

So I change back to the old ign box and try again, this time I take off, I am over the runway and the tach only reads 6000rpm, I know that it is not correct, again I am over the runway so I hit the aux pump, and the engine runs rough but the tach jumps to 7000, engine rpm did not change, flip the switch a few times and each time the same thing..

I always fly with the aux pump on, and the engine does run at 7000 at takeoff.

So I am thinking some sort of electrical gremlin has jumped on my gyro from the trailer ride......GRRRRRR!! :killbunny :head :badluck :what

Scott, change your slide needles and jets in the carbys? the needles might have worn from rattling in the jets? Worth a try maybe? While you are at it, maybe change the float needle and seats? And check your floats actually float? :noidea :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sun May 03, 2015 5:09 am
Muz so u did retain knowledge from that vid by Brian......I watched it too....good suggestion!!! :OZ :Flag :laughing :whoop :like :wol :clap:

Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 am
Site Admin

Flying Wolverine wrote:
Muz so u did retain knowledge from that vid by Brian......I watched it too....good suggestion!!! :OZ :Flag :laughing :whoop :like :wol :clap:

That is one of the most informative, useful video's I have downloaded so far (other than 'Debbie Does Dallas and Deep Throat) :like :lick :koolaid :rofl :rofl :wol2 :Wolvie

Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 am
Site Admin

Assembled the machine. Blades on and such. Took it out for a ground run.
No trailer damage so far that I can see.
But there were a few things that were definitely related to trailering it.
Nothing serious just little things.
FLying them does way less damage.
Unless of course if you crash them :wol2

Sun May 10, 2015 11:01 pm
Site Admin

Your high idling could be trailer damage Gabs.... if the throttle is closed on the trailer, the needles can rattle and vibrate and either wear the needles or the jets.... :noidea

Like I said in the other 'idling thread' just service the carbs... maybe make a tag/flag and trailer with the throttle above 1/4, so the needles are not sitting deep in the jets, wearing a ring around the needle.... but with a red flag (remove before flight) so you close the throttle before starting (or set it to where you want it) :noidea :like :wol2 :Wolvie

Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 am

just trailed mine 100 miles along UK roads blades off, pump stick bungeed down to the gyro keel. rudder stop installed, prop covers on, prop tied so it cant move. cling film over wind shield and pod nose, large trash bag over head and mast, taped down.
cling film over cockpit, pitot tube covered with tennis ball, gyro tied front and back with small ratch straps. cockpit straps all clipped in and tight.
drove no faster than 50 mph avoiding as many pot holes as possible, leaving lots of stopping diastance on front as possible. Stopped and checked the load 4 times. retaped cling film, and tightend straps on 2 occasions. I do not trail in the rain and make sure my tail lights work. I pull over often to let other cars pass. I carry zip ties, spare tyre, jack, pump, gaffa tape and cling film. and take my time constantly checking my mirrors, music off window open listening for any strange noises. checking reflection in shop windows when in a town.
I hate evry minute

Sun May 24, 2015 7:14 am
Site Admin

Hey Peter! Welcome aboard!!!!
It is undoubtedly the worst thing to a gyro besides crashing the damn thing for sure.
My gyro has more miles in it by towing than flying :laughing :laughing :laughing
I am like you.I always watch it in the rear view mirror and listen to every little noise.
At the same time this makes pre-flighting the machine even more important.
I watched some seasoned pilots jumping in the seat and cranking it up and when I waved him off he was just dumbfounded when I pointed to his main wheel. The nut was a half a turn away from falling off. I just happened to catch it as he taxied by.
Scary stuff :eek
I always appreciate people looking mine through. :half

Sun May 24, 2015 7:35 am

It's always the "loose nut behind the wheel" that causes all the problems, just sayin'.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Sun May 24, 2015 8:05 am
Site Admin

These guys in :OZ were too busy driving and the gyro on the back tilted backwards and ground a yard (36") off the rear keel :eek :realcrazy :badluck :laughing before they noticed.... it is a machine similar to chucks with the rear keel coming back from the top cheek plates, so there was no lower keel to stop it rocking back until the keel hit the road.... the tail had been removed for the trip.... luckily :rofl evidently it dragged for a couple of hundred miles ..... rule to one's self.... check your gyro constantly :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 am

Wow that really sucks!!

Sun May 24, 2015 11:12 am
Site Admin

Yeah, that belonged to the other Murray, with the yellow little wing that owns our hangar, like he said, you don't get any sympathy from the others at the hangar tho.... he just copped heaps about it :realcrazy :laughing :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Sun May 24, 2015 11:21 am

He :laughing must have had the radio turned up...

Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am
Site Admin

Yeah, they were in Waddles F250, another gyro on the back, radio on, air con, driving at 400mph..... KuuuuL sunglasses.... beer in the cup holders........ all the gear....... and the gyro was "on it's own" out back :badluck :laughing :Wolvie

Edit: I think the white butterfly on the back of the Effie is the one that Waddles ended up crashing into the Tamar river in Tassie....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 pm

probably worth looking at flex wing trailers and glider trailers as well. Loading and securing is quick, simple and safe. maybe they have some ideas or methods that we could adapt and use. For example many sailplanes or gliders have 1 man rigging aids and purpose made loading dolleys with ramps, rails and clamping slots for each piece along with 1 man towing kits to get the glider to the launch point a rigid tow bar, a fully castoring formed dolley for the tail and a bike wheel with fiberglass, padded formed wing tip attachment.
You may also be interested in Ken Wallis method of rotor blade support, he trailed with blades on and the blade supports are attached between gyro frame and the blades, not between the trailer frame and the blades, thus the supports move up and down with the gyro body and not with the trailer.
I do not trail with blades attached.
a simple Pitot cover can be made made from a bright yellow tenis ball with streemer attached to it, helps prevent people bumping into it and stops road dust entering. You could even tie the other end of the ribbon streemer to the stick making it idiot proof.

Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2