It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Carbon Fibre Rotor Blades in a Gyro 
Site Admin

RotoPlane wrote:
MadMuz wrote:
Why not have 4 blades, but not as a X have them on a H shaped hub bar?

More than two blades rigidly mounted to a rotorhub will soon begin to crack and fly apart.
Three or more blades require hinges or some flexible joint for each blade....

That is true if you have the 4 blades at 90 degrees to each other, but I would like to try 2 blades one behind the other, so they are almost teetering in the usual way, just off by a few degrees..... the blades can still move up and down and flex forward and back as normal.... because they are one behind each other they will both see clean air from below, the disruption the first blade leaves behind will be above the following blade.... the blades would be shorter, like 8 or 9' because there is 2, it should be twice the lift and drag, I am not sure of, they would prolly turn faster than normal because of small diameter..... I would love to try even testing on a steel mast welded to a trailer towed by a car, but not on a machine tied to a trailer like on the video. Can you imagine what damage could have been done to the gyro on trailer in the video :eek too much severe stretching for my liking.... the gyro carries the trailer :eek stresses the gyro was never designed for :killme :laughing :laughing

Chuck beaty flew a gyro for years with a 3 blade (269 blades upside down) with no hinges :noidea :wol2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:15 pm
Site Admin

Look at the propeller blades on FJ's TiggyB, they are similar the way they cross, but not at 90 degrees :like :wol2 :Wolvie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:21 pm
Site Admin

I am not educated enough to know if there was any aerodynamic advantage to do so.
Or was it only for the shits and giggles until one giggles and than shits..... :eek

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:36 pm
Site Admin

Gabor wrote:
I am not educated enough to know if there was any aerodynamic advantage to do so.
Or was it only for the shits and giggles until one giggles and than shits..... :eek

I don't know, I just like thinking about shit like this, If I had the money, I would love to try it .... just for fun :like :laughing :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm
Site Admin

Yeahhhh I know.......some of the stuff they do without any reasonable thought because it is different can have some ill-effects.
Before Dennis nobody drilled into the mast to create a clear breakaway point....in a case of crash....or in flight.....or you choose your situation :laughing

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Well a breakaway mast works for the balistic shoot ideas. Heck let's use c4 in the mast to stiffen it up have it just below the head. Then use two detonators 2 seconds apart so when you hit the shoot button mast blows of and you start the decent then the shoot blows to stay out of the blades and gives you a great view nose down before you face plant.
Now that's superior.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm
Site Admin

There you go bwahahaaaaaaaaaa :rofl

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Chuck's 3-bladed gyro rotor had no hinges but the fiberglass hub could flex.

It was Chuck that said not to use four blades on a rigid hub or something will break.
Your idea of less than 90° between two blade sets.....maybe, I don't know for sure but I still think the blades would fight each other without some flex in the hub for each blade.
Perhaps I'm wrong about that and it may be worth a try.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:06 pm
So just a little follow-up on the Autogyro extruded aluminum blades from Autogyro - 'most cracks were developed in blades that had been used in ‘aggressive’ flight modes. None of these system are in use in the United States. This rotor system has a 700 hour life. Auto-Gyro GmbH found a solution to what they were using. They engineered and produced their own product. This system (now Rotor System II, is used by all aircraft sold by AutoGyro USA) is thoroughly tested and conformed to rigid standards. Test were done by an independent test facility by engineers specialized in materials testing. The blades exceeded 8000 hrs. Auto-Gyro placed a 2500 hour limit on the blades as a life. Rotor System II has a machined hub bar to better transfer the stress load in the root area of the blades.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

loftus wrote:
So just a little follow-up on the Autogyro extruded aluminum blades from Autogyro - 'most cracks were developed in blades that had been used in ‘aggressive’ flight modes. None of these system are in use in the United States. This rotor system has a 700 hour life. Auto-Gyro GmbH found a solution to what they were using. They engineered and produced their own product. This system (now Rotor System II, is used by all aircraft sold by AutoGyro USA) is thoroughly tested and conformed to rigid standards. Test were done by an independent test facility by engineers specialized in materials testing. The blades exceeded 8000 hrs. Auto-Gyro placed a 2500 hour limit on the blades as a life. Rotor System II has a machined hub bar to better transfer the stress load in the root area of the blades.

I am sorry but that answer is bs. I know for sure that 4 gyros were sold with the old blades and that two sets of them are still flying. One set the police had in Tomball I had a set on my first MTO and one is still on Roy's MTO in florida

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 pm
Always Gone wrote:
loftus wrote:

I am sorry but that answer is bs. I know for sure that 4 gyros were sold with the old blades and that two sets of them are still flying. One set the police had in Tomball I had a set on my first MTO and one is still on Roy's MTO in florida

I don't see that they claimed there were never any sold in the US with the old blades, but currently it appears only the new system is sold. Just says 'This system (now Rotor System II, is used by all aircraft sold by AutoGyro USA)', which I take to mean currently sold. In fact part of the reply which I did not quote said that MTO-3's and some Sports earlier on did have the old blades. Here is an earlier part of the quote ' MTO3 and a few Sports had blades manufactured by someone other than Auto-Gyro GmbH. Some of those blades had developed cracks in the outboard mounting hole or near the blade hub bar. '
I guess the fact that two sets are still flying (your old gyro has almost 1000 hours does it not) is a good thing.I guess if they are over 700 hours they should be changed. Believe me I'm not trying to get into anything, just want to be sure my blades are safe, even if not far superior. :)
Anyway hopefully the new system performs as claimed. Are you aware of any problems with the new system?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Actually Jeff my original blades only had 400 hrs and a prerotator shaft destroyed them. This was after my first set of prop blades delaminated and I put on a powerfin prop. They did not replace my first prop for almost one year. Then the replacement prop delaminated at Mentone and that was in 2013 after about 200 hrs and they still say it's not there problem. That's why I use an American made IVO.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:20 pm
Desmon,

R U still available for gyro building and setup help?

Darren

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm
Always Gone wrote:
Actually Jeff my original blades only had 400 hrs and a prerotator shaft destroyed them. This was after my first set of prop blades delaminated and I put on a powerfin prop. They did not replace my first prop for almost one year. Then the replacement prop delaminated at Mentone and that was in 2013 after about 200 hrs and they still say it's not there problem. That's why I use an American made IVO.

I agree on the prop for sure. I decided to go with a Sensenich, the guy in the hangar next to us is a dealer and I am getting it at cost. Should have it on by BD.
I am a bit obsessive so if I thought I should be worrying about my rotor I'd be buying the vastly superior ones. I'd be interested to see once they make them available, if they do for other gyros, what they will sell for. The Gyro-Tech CF rotors from Poland are about $2000. I'd like to see those as well - apparently there is an agent in the US

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:30 pm

To Darren yes I am free to do what ever I just got layed off today. And for Jeff they sound like over 5000. But that is speculation.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:10 pm
Always Gone wrote:
To Darren yes I am free to do what ever I just got layed off today. And for Jeff they sound like over 5000. But that is speculation.

That sucks!!!! Need to get some Titaniums sold. I want some flying instruction time when you get here.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:25 pm

No problem we can fix that. Or help out a few others as well.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 pm
Desmon,

I'll call you...is your number still the same?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Flying Wolverine wrote:
Desmon,

I'll call you...is your number still the same?

Of course call any time

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Too bad someone didn't hire an experienced composite company with someone in the company that knows gyro rotors to build them some carbon blades with proper structure. Heck, there may even be a design ready to go.....who knows....

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next