It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Carbon Fibre Rotor Blades in a Gyro 

Brent Brown has been using a set, I am not sure
which ones, Vortech, etc. but they are the 8H-12 airfoil exactly the same as sky wheels, He uses them in a skywheels hub assy.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 am

There is a factory in China that sqiurts them out by the mile

http://rotaryforum.com/forum/showpost.p ... ostcount=1

They have more twists and bends in them than the snakes in MadMuz garage :)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 am

Wow! 1st kwarity Chinese extrusion, fly rotor on heri or gyro prane, work great rast rong time! Cheapy cheapy.

Yep the Phoenix and Vortech are the same.
http://www.vortechonline.com/gyrokits/

I guess the Fleck blades are history too, along with rotordyne, Rotorhawk, Brock and Bensen

We NEED more US manufactures of blades and stuff, mostly more gyro stuff.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am
Site Admin

With modern bonding technology, I reckon that bonded rotors are the way to go for alloy rotors, I have seen Ernies rotors that have been in accidents and haven't seen any peel? According to Chuck, our airfoil isn't even the best one, he suggests that some of the heli rotor shape where they are the same shape, top and bottom would be more efficient...... he reckoned the 269 rotors upside down were pretty good.... there should be a shitload of :Cheapass robbo rotors available soon.....they should last for ever undriven on our machines :laughing :laughing (I don't know if I would trust them tho) :eek

I wonder why no one has tried to make extruded symmetrical rotors then twist in some pitch? Or even extruded them, or an extruded spar and bonded skins like DW.s, only symmetrical top and bottom? As far as I know, the only reason for the reflex on our alloy rotors is to bond the skins? :noidea :wol2 :yoda2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 am

The chinese have the market on the twisted rotors..... :laughing

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

MadMuz .... your Aus site mentions 800 hour life for MT-03, MTOSport and Calidus blades ... do you know if this is still true ?

http://www.asra.org.au/smf/index.php?topic=4008.0

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:25 am
Site Admin

That extrusion is not heavy enough in the nose.... the chordwise center of balance would be 35-40%

I don't understand why everybody thinks they are an expert and pump out shit that is wrong? :noidea

It is a great idea, but wrong design? :killa There is too many instant experts in gyros today :punch :killme :laughing :laughing :fuckum

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 am

I happen to agree Muz .... many blades end up installing dormant balance weights in the front of the blade .... why not just make the structural components stronger (and heavier) for the front parts

I could never figure that out . Maybe there is a reason .

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 am

Must be all for Dennis Fetters UAV program, unless homebuilt helicopters are all the rage right now amongst he chinese populace....

Yes a properly balanced blade the first time would be something huh?!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 am
farmer jim wrote:
What blades does the Factory use on the Cavalons vs. the MTO's ???

fj

:noidea

I think there is a little confusion on Autogyro blades, and from what I understand most of the cracks etc were prior to 2010 / 2011. All the reports and pictures of cracks etc seem to come from blades prior to that time.
Autogyro subsequently changed the hub, the design of the blade, and the manufacturer from what I understand and presently all Autogyro blades for the MTO, Cavalon, and Calidus have a 2500 hour rated life. I will contact Autogyro directly and see if I can get some clarification.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

MadMuz wrote:
I suggested to FJ that you guys go silent now, let people squark and squabble without any input from you guys.... the people have some photos, some facts from Neal, obviously their own opinions.... I think it would benefit you to just say nothing, don't respond to anything negative.... just ignore them.... when the blades arrive, then you can commence with actual facts and photos.... now, it is just like fighting phantoms... no one knows anything concrete yet, but people are arguing anyway... :laughing I say let them argue amongst themselves for a while... see what crap they come up with.... I will stir them up if it gets too quiet, or if you want anything said, let me know, I can post it.... because my skills at annoying people are like carbon fiber (far superior)

Bwwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahahahah :like :laughing :laughing :punch

Not that my opinion matters... however I think that is a good idea.

Ignore the negativity, and focus on the positive.

It seems to me if we lessened the drama... the gyro community would be better. And it seems to me ignoring the drama... might be a good place to start???

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 am

MadMuz wrote:
That extrusion is not heavy enough in the nose.... the chordwise center of balance would be 35-40%

I don't understand why everybody thinks they are an expert and pump out shit that is wrong? :noidea

It is a great idea, but wrong design? :killa There is too many instant experts in gyros today :punch :killme :laughing :laughing :fuckum

YUP... And it adds a layer of drama that may be destructive to the gyro community.

Owner/builder of

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:11 am
Site Admin

Arnie M. wrote:

I happen to agree Muz .... many blades end up installing dormant balance weights in the front of the blade .... why not just make the structural components stronger (and heavier) for the front parts

I could never figure that out . Maybe there is a reason .

Stupidity?

Gyros are allowed to be heavier now, so make the fucking things 7.5" or 8" chord, a bit fatter :noidea Make the blade shorter and the hub longer to achieve the diameter :noidea The first yard or 2 does no lifting? Look at the hub bar in that stupid sky cycle? It is 1/3rd of the rotors? Make a carbon fiber hub bar 4' - 8' long that holds the 9' alloy extrusions?? Might work?

Why not have 4 blades, but not as a X have them on a H shaped hub bar?

I tried to draw it just quickly so you get the idea..... shit drawing..... imagine the scizzors a bit more closed, like an 8" gap between rotors each side of the hub, and about a 3' gap at the tips.... the hub bar has slots for the teeter towers to poke thru the hub bar.... having 4 blades, you might only need 20' diameter on a heavy machine? Don't know, it would be cool to try.... the hub still only teeters in the one direction, but both rotors follow as they lead and lag and flap during rotation.... maybe have the trailing rotor 1 or 2 " below the first, so it too is in clean air?

I would love to try this shit :noidea :laughing :laughing :fuckum :Wolvie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 am

loftus wrote:
farmer jim wrote:
What blades does the Factory use on the Cavalons vs. the MTO's ???

fj

:noidea

I think there is a little confusion on Autogyro blades, and from what I understand most of the cracks etc were prior to 2010 / 2011. All the reports and pictures of cracks etc seem to come from blades prior to that time.
Autogyro subsequently changed the hub, the design of the blade, and the manufacturer from what I understand and presently all Autogyro blades for the MTO, Cavalon, and Calidus have a 2500 hour rated life. I will contact Autogyro directly and see if I can get some clarification.

THANX, MATE -

(and fick u to boot)

fj

:die

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 am

One thing that the molder must design for is the skin and web thickness.
They should only be as thick as required to hold its dimensional shape and withstand the design forces.
Normally, the thickness isn't increased for greater strength....one just uses more webs.
The thicker the web is, the more the outer surface sinks into the web due to material shrinkage while cooling. This is true of plastic or metal parts.

This is one reason a balance weight is added to the inside of a airfoil nose after the aluminum airfoil shape has cooled.
Another reason is the balance weight can be much heavier per cu.ft. than the airfoil material, so it is easier to balance a blade at 25% of the chord.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 am
Site Admin

That's why I say it could be interesting to extrude some steel for the leading edge/spar and bond alloy skins to the steel spar... like Dragon wings, but the nose is extruded steel instead of alloy.... Plus, you could trim the trees in your driveway as you land :noidea :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:43 am

MadMuz wrote:
Why not have 4 blades, but not as a X have them on a H shaped hub bar?

More than two blades rigidly mounted to a rotorhub will soon begin to crack and fly apart.
Three or more blades require hinges or some flexible joint for each blade....

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 am
Site Admin

Russians have a 3 bladed rigid hub.......can't find the damn thing......I will look for the pics OK?
Apparently they made it work somehow.
But than again....you can't trust those bastards....they lie...... :laughing

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am

Seems to my un-educated eye....

A more that 2 blade tettering blade arrangement, would have a bunch of issue with the travel of the blade around the circle: When it goes up and down... and with 2 blades on a similar end... yet in a different place of the circle... some curious forces would be exerted on the blades (yeah... I am totally butchering the explanation... do not know the proper terms).

Anyhow... seems to me those forces would end up creating vibrations that would tear the cross bar and blade attachment points apart.

OK, can someone who understands better than I... come along and clean this up... <grin>

Owner/builder of

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am

Autogyro uses the same blades for all models. They do have a short sport set they do not use much. They have three steel rods in the leading edge of different lengths.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next