It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Carbon Fibre Rotor Blades in a Gyro 

Dropbear wrote:
Well VANCE stepped in it SO DEEP .... He's just become a prime candidate for the DOUCHEBAG LIST!!!

Do you mean a list of far superior douchebags ?

We have a new category .... where is Benry when you need him :)

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:13 pm
carbon fiber is very stiff and light when used with the best working technic material and époxy , but its not new stuff , the price or cost is more low today because it is more produced and utilised today, but F1 have carbon-fiber in the 1980 + year , my brother has some carbon fiber helmet some from years 2000 its 15years ago , and cost many time more in the past than today, its weight compared to standard helmet is incomparable , its shure this blade can be the best blade availlable today , because of all the latest building method apliqued to gyro blade , the building technique , the mold , the quality of the prepreg , the cure method, the profile ,twist , taper , stiffness , carbon when use in the most extreme construction method with an illimited $$$ budjet , can be stronger than metal for nearly 5 time less weight , i see a testing with a torque tested machine, a truck drive shaft in carbon , and its more hard to twist than a steel one , the boeing 787 dreamliner have many % of carbon in its build , but if you look at other airliner skin its another type of composite and really good to do the job , its GLARE panel ,its like many thin aluminum foil skin combined and bonded with extra thin fiberglass , alternating multiple skin, and the 2 combined is lighter and stronger than just one component or material alone , but if you pay multy thousand $$$$ for building your billet aluminum cnc cut mold, you by top or best performance prepreg carbon , an cure your blade in an enclave oven Under pressure for many hours with slowly increasing temps for hours and slowly decreased temp , with the best core material , all this have a cost , and cant be price competitive or you have to balance cost of the process with the final selling cost, because the best in carbon composite is the biggest price we can imagine , 1 heli blade ok its certified, but also one medium f1 parts or 4 mag Wheel of a koenigsegg euro exotic road car , cost the price of a completed new euro gyro or + , this is just a video of a road car carbon mag Wheel construction for a little understanding of the performance capacity of the material and building technic --------------

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:37 pm
Site Admin

Forums are not good places for businesses to sell things, on public forums, there is too many members of the public.... (obviously) and you know how stupid the public are? (except for us) :noidea :laughing :laughing

Forums are great for drumming up interest in something..... so interest comes in two shades.... good and bad..... if someone says something good about a product, that is good, if someone says something bad about a product, that is good too (especially if they are wrong) it is still creating interest and conversation about the product (product awareness)....

The proof is in the pudding.... no matter what has been said, positive or negative, about the product/thing.... what is most important is the reaction of the first buyers/users....how the things perform in the real world..... that is what will sell stuff.... no matter what troll has bagged it on a public forum....

FJ (fick you) I would suggest that you just read and ignore less than favourable comments on the rotors or machines.... just have a laugh... it is all publicity.... when the machines and rotors arrive and prove themselves, the trolls will have to eat their words. Don't enter into slagging matches with tossers on a public forum, let them argue amongst themselves about how bad they are.... it is free publicity for you which will be squashed when the things arrive and people will find out what is true or otherwise about what has been said previously by the idiots :laughing

It is the opinion of real live buyers/users that mean the most and I am confident that Neal has created something special :like time will tell :wol2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:29 pm
Site Admin

As an example of businesses not trying to 'sell' stuff on forums.... Ernie never promotes nor frequents RWF (or here) he will comment if someone tries to put shit on Dragon Wings or something, but he doesn't go on the forum to try to prove how good DW's are.... the members talk about DW's.... good/bad/otherwise..... it doesn't matter, it is all publicity.... as long as people talk about your product in public, it is attention..... so no matter who 'tries to rile you up' just ignore them, don't be arguing or getting upset at the person on the forum... let them run their mouths off, it is all publicity for Titanium product. At this stage, people making dumb and stupid remarks about the rotors is GOOD for you, the rotors will back themselves up when they get here :like :yoda2

Do not argue with these people on the forum :ultragay ..... say the least you can, but do try to stir them up (or have friends stir them up) because it creates more publicity (free advertising) :like :koolaid :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 pm
oh and i dont post this to bullshit your blades , because i think this is the latest best method and stuff applicated to gyroplane blade technology availlable today , and you have up the bar in the gyroplane blade construction , and if the performance is up after the report and the price is good you will sell it like hot cake or many sets , i think a new product like this shake a little other euro selling guy and they cant wait a report and resting very calm :laughing ---------------- ------------- :like :OZ

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:46 pm
When trying to 'design a better blade' for a gyro what are the objectives?

1. Durability
2. Smoother
3. More lift for a given size and weight.
4. Less drag to be able to fly faster

In a gyro in autorotation are not 3 and 4 sort of incompatible, in other words more lift means more drag. Is it possible to design a rotor blade that both provides more lift, and simultaneously allows the gyro to go faster, or is it just a matter of settling on a compromise between the two. Similarly less drag also allowing more maneuverability, but also less lift.

Another question relating to speed in a gyro. I seems to me that the main limitation in terms of speed in a gyro is the increasing roughness of the blades with increasing speed rather than the streamlining etc of the body. So for example a Calidus with a more streamlined body is able to fly faster, but in terms of comfortable cruise may not be any faster due to the blades.

Last edited by loftus on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:12 pm
Site Admin

loftus wrote:

1. Durability
2. Smoother

In a gyro in autorotation are not 3 and 4 sort of incompatible, in other words more lift means more drag. Is it possible to design a rotor blade that both provides more lift, and simultaneously allows the gyro to go faster, or is it just a matter of settling on a compromise between the two. Similarly less drag also allowing more maneuverability, but also less lift.

Don't worry about all that crap Lofty.... just make them far superior and they will be fine :like :pop :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 pm
MadMuz wrote:
loftus wrote:

1. Durability
2. Smoother

Don't worry about all that crap Lofty.... just make them far superior and they will be fine :like :pop :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

The best thing about you Muz is that I can always expect a clear and straightforward answer. :killa

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Unless you found a way to redesign the properties of air and aerodynamics you will still have those limits apply to any blade manufactured even in the future :bunny

Forgot last item on your list

5. lower cost and higher component life limits

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:32 pm
Site Admin

That is because New Zealanders living in :OZ are Far Fickin' Superior :eek :lie :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

I'm going to bed.... it's 2:30am again.... sheeeesh :killme catch you guyz later :like :laughing :Wolvie

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:34 pm

YEP OLE VANCE ...JUST KEEPS DIGGING IN DEEPER ..... intent on being KING DOUCHEBAG!!!!

Quote:
[QUOTE=Vance;601626]Hello Kai,

My composite RAF blades cracked along the trailing edge and I marked them with a black felt pen so I could see how fast the cracks were prorogating.

RAF put a life limit on the blades.

I replaced them with Sport Copter Blades and I prefer the way they fly.

As far as I know Sport Copter does not have a life limit on the blades on The Predator. They are fabricated aluminum blades.

The Cavalon has a replacement schedule for the extruded blades and I have not heard of any failures.

I feel replacing blades on a regularly schedule is probably as safe or safer as finding out how long it will be before composite blades fail.

Please understand I am only questioning the statement; not the safety of the blades. I feel writing; “So without question composite blades are a safer option.” is just more marketing hyperbole.

I do not have enough information about the new carbon fiber blades to have an opinion of how safe they are.

Rotor blades made from composites may better address some design issues but it also has some problems of its own. Otherwise everyone would go to composite gyroplane rotor blades.

I don’t agree Antony.

Safest suggests to me there is something less safe (dangerous) about other rotor blades otherwise why would people want to change.

"Without question" is just silly.

This is typical marketing hyperbole and I feel it should be identified as such.

Regards, Vance

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Watching the whole aviation community it's cost the will get the buyers to your door, I've seen some junk through the years and most idiots will pinch pennys and waste big bucks on shit that shouldn't be in the air.

It can make your head spin with the cheap bastards sometimes,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Cheapass :punch :bunny

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:38 pm
Site Admin

I suggested to FJ that you guys go silent now, let people squark and squabble without any input from you guys.... the people have some photos, some facts from Neal, obviously their own opinions.... I think it would benefit you to just say nothing, don't respond to anything negative.... just ignore them.... when the blades arrive, then you can commence with actual facts and photos.... now, it is just like fighting phantoms... no one knows anything concrete yet, but people are arguing anyway... :laughing I say let them argue amongst themselves for a while... see what crap they come up with.... I will stir them up if it gets too quiet, or if you want anything said, let me know, I can post it.... because my skills at annoying people are like carbon fiber (far superior)

Bwwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahahahah :like :laughing :laughing :punch

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:16 am
Site Admin

That reminds me of how they carried on for 26 pages about me after I was gone already.....they fucking kept the thread going for weeks without my interaction ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :rofl :rofl :rofl

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 am

What blades does the Factory use on the Cavalons vs. the MTO's ???

fj

:noidea

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:27 am
Site Admin

farmer jim wrote:

fj

Really far inferior ones :laughing :laughing :killme :Wolvie

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:50 am

farmer jim wrote:

fj

I think they use an aluminum extruded blade (could be wrong)

Many people feel they are the least desirable (because) they force a slug of Aluminum stock through a die , it does makes a nice one-piece airfoil , trouble is there is webbing in the die (to hold it together) and the pressed aluminum (going thru the die) has to separate and then rejoin (self-weld) as it exits

At least that is how I understand it. Not many people use the Vortech blades for that reason , even though they are fairly cheap to buy

If they are going to crack and fail it can happen quickly , normal bonded 2-3 part aluminum blades give lots of warning when it is time to change them

Maybe that is a sensitive issue for VB , I dont know .... somebody should ask him if his blades are "far superior" or just "ordinary" :)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:32 am
Site Admin

From what I know about extruded blades (or extruded anything) is that there is a lot of throw back created.... lets say a rotor extrusion, where it has the thick leading edge section.... no worries that end.... but the thinner back half of the blade warps and buckles very easily, especially if you are wanting a thin skin.... so for every successful extruded length, prolly 3 go back in the furness because of warpage, dips or blisters. I know a local rotor manufacturer had nose /spa extrusion stock for his blades, but he had to first straighten the extruded spar before bonding the skins.... I have often wondered why no manufacturer has used a steel extrusion for a heavier nose of the rotor and alloy skins bonded, rather than some manufacturers using a steel reo bar in the leading edge of the rotors... why not just extrude the spar from steel and be done with it :noidea :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 am

Pictures of an extruded blade , plus one showing 3 (of the 5) die components .... and that is the problem , those 5 die components must be "joined together" inside the die which separates the aluminum as it passes thru , and hopefully rejoins properly again.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 am

MadMuz is right ... quality control , temperatures etc have to be "just right" for everything to work properly

They were a hell of an idea when they first came out , everyone figured all the gyros and Rotorway helicopters would use them

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next