It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Always wanted my own dragon. 
Well not really a dragon, but pretty close. I have always loved Reptiles and have rised many. but several years ago I lost all of them during a carolina ice storm.

said I would not get any more until I lived in an Area where that was not an issue.
well last week Cindi and I decided to drop in to a pet store in daytona beach called Mr petman. this was a bad Idea.

in the past I have had several Monitor Lizards, but could never find one of the rare African Black throat Monitors, what do we see as soon as we get in the door?
I cage with 2 baby Black Throats, even worse they had a 4 year old female in a big cage in the back, I showed Cindi and being the kind of women she is that like the same things I do she decides let see how tame the babys are. long story short by the time we left, we had put a down payment on a baby black throat.
we came back a few days later to get our baby after we drove all the way to merrit island to get a cage.
This time the Owner of the store was there and he let me hold Mickey the big female Black throat. these lizards go up in value as they grow, mickey is worth about 2 grand. keep in mind mickey is only 4 years old the males get up to 7 feet. I bet no thuggs will break into this house when this guy gets big.
so now Cindi and I have our own baby dragon... :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:35 pm

DANG THAT'S A BIG CRITTER :bunny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 pm
Site Admin

Just one question.... which one is the lizard?? :noidea :laughing :laughing :laughing

Reptiles are great, I have snakes (pythons) myself..... they range from ab baby spotted at about 12" long.... to my big Qld carpet python at 11' long :like

I like looking at their eyes.... it is like they are looking back..... they are very intelligent and they are looking back with interest, not like a puppy or a kitten.... :yoda2 :Wolvie

I also have a monitor (wild one) that lives down under the tank at the back shed.... it is about a yard long from tip to tail.... he comes up to the house sometimes..... and have shitloads of cane toads :killme :laughing :laughing

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:13 am
MadMuz wrote:
Just one question.... which one is the lizard?? :noidea :laughing :laughing :laughing

Reptiles are great, I have snakes (pythons) myself..... they range from ab baby spotted at about 12" long.... to my big Qld carpet python at 11' long :like

I like looking at their eyes.... it is like they are looking back..... they are very intelligent and they are looking back with interest, not like a puppy or a kitten.... :yoda2 :Wolvie

I also have a monitor (wild one) that lives down under the tank at the back shed.... it is about a yard long from tip to tail.... he comes up to the house sometimes..... and have shitloads of cane toads :killme :laughing :laughing
yeah the pythons are cool, the carpet python has pretty markings.

Cindi loves our new baby, she love to watch him go after live prey.. :)

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:17 am
Site Admin

Evidently if you get the game 'ant smasher' for your phone, you will never be able to beat the high score your lizard sets..... evidently they are really good at it :eek :laughing :laughing

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:57 am

Why don't you guys like sheep's ?

fj

:twopennies

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:08 am
Site Admin

Shhhhh Fj, you promised not to mention the sheeps :eek :laughing :laughing

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am
yep he knows how to put down some food.
he is getting a little tamer each day.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:16 pm
Site Admin

He certainly knows where to put them :laughing :laughing

Give him the egg shells too.... they need the calcium..... they don't mind raw egg too.... just smash it in a bowl so he can bite into it.... it is funny giving them a whole hard boiled egg.... they push it round and round wondering why it wont break :dizzy :laughing :laughing the big monitors just swallow them whole....

Did you ask the shop about calcium powder to put on the food.... the 2 things they must have is lots of calcium and direct sunlight.... otherwise they can get bone and skin issues :twopennies :yoda2 :Wolvie

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 am
MadMuz wrote:
He certainly knows where to put them :laughing :laughing

Give him the egg shells too.... they need the calcium..... they don't mind raw egg too.... just smash it in a bowl so he can bite into it.... it is funny giving them a whole hard boiled egg.... they push it round and round wondering why it wont break :dizzy :laughing :laughing the big monitors just swallow them whole....

Did you ask the shop about calcium powder to put on the food.... the 2 things they must have is lots of calcium and direct sunlight.... otherwise they can get bone and skin issues :twopennies :yoda2 :Wolvie
yes I got some of the reptical. I just don't put it on every feeding.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 am
Site Admin

I also recommend you get some hand gel for after handling.... I have 2, one is F10 anti bacterial hand wash and the other is 'repti-hand' gel..... our reptiles can happily live with salmonella.... we cant... so if you handle reptiles, you just pump some on your hands and it kills any bugs.... they just come in pump packs.

The F10 is what lab scientists use and the repti-gel is like a civilian version :like You don't need both.... it is for your hands before you touch them to protect them from germs you have picked up that may bother them.... and also for you guys after handling him, then eat a giant sloppy burger and get any germs he may have that might get you running to the toilet every 5.7676764545 minutes :eek :laughing :laughing

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 pm
MadMuz wrote:
I also recommend you get some hand gel for after handling.... I have 2, one is F10 anti bacterial hand wash and the other is 'repti-hand' gel..... our reptiles can happily live with salmonella.... we cant... so if you handle reptiles, you just pump some on your hands and it kills any bugs.... they just come in pump packs.

The F10 is what lab scientists use and the repti-gel is like a civilian version :like You don't need both.... it is for your hands before you touch them to protect them from germs you have picked up that may bother them.... and also for you guys after handling him, then eat a giant sloppy burger and get any germs he may have that might get you running to the toilet every 5.7676764545 minutes :eek :laughing :laughing

That good info, probably could have used that stuff when I was younger and rising that Asian water monitor I had.

I will have to look for that stuff. looks like a good investment.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:27 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, it is also good if they give you a nip or scratch you with their claws..... the germs are generally in their poop... so if they walk on their poop or traces of it, then scratch you... you might get a local infection.... any bites or whatever, I just rub some on, just in case :like

I am not saying they are dirty, they just exist with organisms we cant tolerate.... and you cant use human anticeptics on them.... you must have either reptile or bird anticeptics.... because yes, birds and lizards are related :eek :like I always laugh at that V series where lizard people come to earth..... shit, we just spray cane toads with Dettol (anticeptic) and they die in minutes? So if you want to get rid of alien lizard people.... spray em with Dettol (or hollow point Dettol bullets) :rofl :rofl

Movies with giant insects :noidea what about phucking fly spray?? :killme :laughing :laughing

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]