It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Squirrel Food - for those who are interested 

I was at the Portage Golf Course last fall and took this picture of a pile of squirrel food being stockpiled for winter

I do not golf

I do not eat squirrels

I go to the golf course because I can get bacon and eggs any time of the day ... 4 strips of crisp bacon , Idaho Russet potatoes grown in Manitoba , first baked then cooled , then shredded , then browned lightly on the grill , two real chicken eggs and two slices of toast.

Plus 2 coffee , one with the meal and one to take outside for my after dinner cigarette ... that is when I took the picture

There is actually a squirrel too , but he ran up the tree when he saw the camera , he figured I would post his picture on the internet and some guy from Idaho .... oops ... I mean Illinois might start drooling about fat Manitoba Winter squirrels

It is an addiction they have and they will never change.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:36 am
Site Admin

Who are you calling fat? :noidea It is 100% pure muscle.... it is just relaxing at the moment! :wol2 :laughing :laughing

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:44 am

That smart squirrel failed to realize that helicopter pilots are pretty clever too , I took the opportunity to go back inside the restaurant for a turd cup of coffee and then lurked in the shadows till I caught him stuffing himself full of seeds from those pine cones.

Hard to see but he is there on top of the pile

Now I am wondering if that squirrel piled up those pine cones himself ... because the leaves are falling off the trees and the groundskeepers at the golf course are vacuuming everything up ... maybe that squirrel piled them beside the tree so the equipment couldn't get them

I asked every single person there if they raked those pinecones into a pile .... they all looked at me weird and said NO ....

I bet if I went digging in the snowbanks that pile of pinecones is still there

And a fat squirrel up in the tree chattering at me , they come out to sit in the warm sun for a couple hours every winter day.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:01 pm

I tried to get a little closer to get a better picture but the squirrel headed up the tree

I quickly snapped a picture .... because we all know it didn't happen if there are no pictures

This is a true story except for one thing ..... that is a pretty small squirrel , not a fat one.

Which just goes to prove that Manitoba squirrels stay skinny so that Idaho Potato Farmers and Illinois Corn farmers
dont even un-holster .... they just drive on by and go shooting holes in paper targets in a heated gun range .

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:41 pm

Stan .... I nearly got blown out of my chair while I was making my third post on this thread.

David Lafary called. If I was allowed to say unfriggin believable .... then I would

Everything happens for a purpose .... even my crappy late timing in doing the things I feel I should have long ago

Davids timekeeper had it arranged all along , to my chagrin , the timing appears perfect

Later I will update that story in its proper place

And of course it is a true story.

PTL

Un friggin beleivable !!!

:Can

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Arnie- I haven't told anyone the stuff that has happened that only you and I can verify. I just keep it to myself as it wouldn't be believed anyway.

Life sure has been interesting.

I feel like frying up a squirrel right now, but I am in the middle of framing closet walls in our room addition.

Have you ever tried working with 2 squirrels in your belly?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Hellified wrote:
Arnie- I haven't told anyone the stuff that has happened that only you and I can verify. I just keep it to myself as it wouldn't be believed anyway.

I feel like frying up a squirrel right now, but I am in the middle of framing closet walls in our room addition.

Might get a bit difficult if they were trying to get out... :cry

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Hellified wrote:

No , I came out of the closet years ago and I have never eaten squirrels

:Can

But I can verify a lot of the David Lafary story. The people will love it.

Not to mention all the other neat things that happen around you , and the tentacles to me

I have kept most of the notes and they could fill a small book

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:15 pm

GyroGeorgia wrote:
Hellified wrote:

Might get a bit difficult if they were trying to get out... :cry

HAAAAA !!!! love it !!!

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:16 pm

I am going to have to get a good camera and try to take some video of my back yard.

It joins with the neighbors and their kids come out every day to spread food for the big wild Jackrabbits.

They are about 2 feet tall when sitting and three feet stretched out on their back legs , they
are people-shy and only come to feed at night then disappear at daylight.

Until recently ... now there are two domestic type rabbits , small ones , the Hillberg - pet kind ....
and they want some food too , but the big Jacks stand guard and wont let them come close ...
trouble is the domestic bunnies are not afraid of people or sunshine and the wild rabbits sometimes
have to stand guard during the day

Then around noon the squirrel comes out of his tree hole .... he wants some too ... he will make
about ten fake dashes toward the food and then jump back on the tree to see if the rabbits will
come after him (they never do ) so he runs all the way , grabs some food and scurries back up
the tree to eat it

Entertaining to watch

Here is a picture from a couple years ago ... in winter their fur ends up turning white like the snow

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Arnie- I would love to fry up those squirrels for ya! I have shot them for years in my 16 acre woods and haven't made a dent in the population. The traffic gets a lot of them also.

I have told this rabbit story before involving my dad who just passed away.

One day he was sitting in his living room chair watching a rabbit in the front yard. All of a sudden a cat pounced on the rabbit and killed it. Dad put on his shoes , went out in the yard and scared the cat away. He brought the rabbit inside the house, skinned it, and fried it up in the skillet!..

Reminds me of Africa. Dad, the ol lion lived to be almost 94.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 pm

sounding to me like the squirrlys & rabutts up North HAVE JUST THE SAME RIGHTS AS OUR CATTLE, HOGS, AND CHICKUNS ?!

:die :die :die

:like :pop :like :pop

fj

(and I STILL LIKE GARY'S PUSSY) :like :like :like

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:20 am
Site Admin

Hellified wrote:
Arnie- I would love to fry up those squirrels for ya! I have shot them for years in my 16 acre woods and haven't made a dent in the population. The traffic gets a lot of them also.

I have told this rabbit story before involving my dad who just passed away.

One day he was sitting in his living room chair watching a rabbit in the front yard. All of a sudden a cat pounced on the rabbit and killed it. Dad put on his shoes , went out in the yard and scared the cat away. He brought the rabbit inside the house, skinned it, and fried it up in the skillet!..

Reminds me of Africa. Dad, the ol lion lived to be almost 94.

Stan, are you sure the wabbit never got away and he skun the cat instead? :noidea They all taste like chicken anyway.... evidently :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 am

Dad may have eaten the cat....but some things that happen in Illinois....stays in Illinois!

Arnie- I was going to dry ice a dressed squirrel and send it to ya
......but the 9mm hole in it may have brought the authorities in if they randomly inspected the package.

I didn't realize squirrels came from eggs? You serious Clark? I have shot and have eaten pigeons, and even fried up their eggs. I need to go check out a squirrels nest sometime for squirrel eggs. I am going to have to research squirrel eggs.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 am
Site Admin

Actually Stan, I think squirrels come from nuts.... not eggs....

That reminds me of a joke actually:

Why did the squirrel float across the river on his back?

He didn't want to get his nuts wet :laughing :laughing (the nuts balancing on his stomach I mean) not :bigballs :Nazi :Wolvie

I wonder if a flying squirrel can hover? :noidea :laughing :laughing :pop

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:54 am

Madmuz- A flying squirrel can hover if it glides into a strong enough wind! We don't have gliding squirrels in my woods.....they just fall like a brick when shot.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 am

The term road kill was invented by Polish immigrant railway workers in Canada. They were
a hard working bunch and the first workers on the tracks in the morning ... because they could pick up the fresh "road kill"

Rabbits , pheasants , ruffled grouse , sometimes even a deer ... wildlife the trains had hit the night before.
The birds and animals practically lived on the tracks .... they ate the grain that leaked out of the boxcars.

One day there was a dead cat and the section foreman convinced them it was a rabbit
that had its ears cut off by the train wheels .... it was in the stew pot that night for supper.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm
Site Admin

Actually, I am quite fond of eating pu..... cat :koolaid :lick :like :pop

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 pm
Site Admin

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:29 am

Gabor- Do you still have those farming magazine cover shots where I was featured for my love for squirrel hunting....and actually eating them also? Those were classic!

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next