It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 John R, A great host 

Good morning my friends???

Hi Barry!! Thanks for posting pictures of your visit here. It was fun hanging with you guys.

My friendships created all over the world in our rotorcraft community is the best part of life! I'm blessed beyond measure with friends that like to fly and party!
The only problem.. most folks do not believe us or think I exaggerate my life adventures with friends... But no sadly they are all true I'm just the luckiest person on earth for getting out of trouble. But then I ask God for help so I cheat!!

So many stories like these: here is more of the story as Stan wrote it way back then... Here a link to the original: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25707

Stan:

John is such a kind soul to let us share this story.

John, myself, Dave Bacon, and Jeff Jones were headed to Solomans castle. The line was leaving the airport and we were trying to catch up. AllIn...who I think should be called All Out was about to make the left turn by the registration table coming into Bensen Days.
There was a slow pokey car turing on this main road...so John...being the off roading type he is...and one that doesnt want to lose....immediately took the taxi-way in front of the row of hangers. We were gunning it down that little asphalt strip when low and behold there was no more road...but a shallow ditch. John hit the brakes enough to go down in the ditch and up the berm to our road.

During this time...I had just got Tim O'Connor on the phone...and I wasnt able to carry on a conversation , I was laughing my self to tears.

Just then we crested this bank....and lo and behold there was another ditch on the backside...as we went airborn. My head hit the roof of the car...and we nosed in on the other side...taking out a Nissan mouthful bite of nice Wauchula airport side. See the picture.

I was surprised the airbags were not deployed! John being one not to lose a race...kept the throttle on, and the tire marks are there to prove it!

We immediately spun to the right and passed that car as we got back on to pavement! I redialed Tim O'Connor....who probably thought I was high on something....and while he was just starting to answer...I mentioned to John that there had to be some damage to the car. John said.."I dont think there is any" and I FREAKIN about lost my meal from about splitting my sides laughing so hard. I am surprised I didnt have a bowel movement. But Tim is now on the phone again,,,and I am even in worse shape to talk. I was in tears...I could not stand it.

We drove down and caught up with the rest of the caravan...and got out and took some pictures.

Next was opening up a new business called All Ins Shadetree body shop. ....without the shade!

The car was returned amazingly in pristine condition....well...almost! That frontend was like a rubbermaid trash can....just popped back into place.

A little pounding...a little pulling...a little more pounding and a little more pulling...and voila..... Pictures say a thousand words.

Stan

--- End ---
I'll most more of the story latter... It got better than this!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - V.P. of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft
http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Trust good 'ole Tim (Animal) to take a video .... Fantastic ... !!!! ..... gives a whole new perspective to the "hidden Ditch"

You guys are a blast !!!!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 pm

That entire trip was a flash back to high-school/ fraternity days!!!
It started out with Stan & I deciding to get Animal to B-Days and got him a ticket. We all flew separately and I rented the now famous Nisan and waited to pick up Stan, Dave Bacon, and Tim IIRC. On the way there Tim took pictures of the speedo = over 100 MPH... But no-one complained of my normal driving speed and we always had an exit lane or I'd slow down. We made great time getting there... these guys are crazy! BTW over a million miles driving on the highways and I've NEVER been in an accident that wasn't OFF ROAD! Avoided 3 or four no one would believe but never even got a scratch on surface streets.

Next day the adventure begins with Stan and I stealing golf carts as we can find them and it's off to get Gabor to annoy our friends has we visit each one we can find. They often hide from us? Might be that Gabor doesn't ride in the golf cart... No he does an Iron cross holding on to the frame looking like he our flag waving in the wind.

That evening we are off to dinner at Salomon's castle I had never been there and the group was leaving us as it hard to heard cats to get in the car.

Off we go and like Stan describes above there is a car driving slower than I walk blocking us and they are leaving. Bummer... Look to my left and I see a taxi way leading to a very small gentle storm culvert no problem I'll just drive over that and on the road I see on the other side and we can catch up and not get lost.

No problem... Hit the gas turning hard left and chirp the tires and speed down the taxi way and for show I hit the brake with my left foot but hit the gas with my right... Making the car sound as if I'm accelerate to full speed but the brake is on so actually slightly slowing. There eyes were WIDE open at this point.

Right before I hit the bottom I let off the gas hit the brake bringing the nose down then hit the gas for a instance at the bottom of the incline bringing the nose up so it won't not hit and really hit the brake until I reached the top. Still could not see that in Fl they had a 2nd tank trap on the other side of it... we could only see sky at this point.

Then the nose came down has I held the brakes to lower it again. I've done this so many times off road and it always works.. Of course I've walked the entire course before the race too.

Wow this is going to hurt as we are now looking down at it.

Only thing to do now is get off the brakes and wait for impact.

As soon as she hit I floored her which raised the nose back up and she stopped scooping dirt out and turned hard right and she just pop up and turned out and the race was on... Did not even stop.

I think Dave or Stan only words were "That is going to leave damage"! There is a very silence pause and then without missing a beat I say "Naw... the air bags did not even go off"?

Then a short silence and I cannot help but to start laughing at the idea that there is no damage and hysterical laughter breaks out, with Stan on the phone I thought it was with Gabor who said he saw the jump in his mirror and it was 3 feet!

I laughing so hard I'm crying and driving like 80 trying to catch the group when we turn the corner and they are all waiting for us... There was no need for speed to catch them but it's not my style anyway, and I have the tickets to prove it.

We stop and they all get out to find out what happen to you guys????

The frame is actually bent!!! We still do not know how the air bags did not go off. I'll bet they were stolen?

Off to dinner and it was the most fun listening to them all share the story of the flying Nissan! Yes I have a pilots license so it's OK to fly them?

The next day Stan and Dave are inspecting the damage and one of them say. I bet we can fix this? I start laughing hysterically again. Yeah right!

No we only have to hook the frame up to a chain on the steel hangar beam and drive the car in reverse until we straighten it out!

They are serious!!!

What do I have to lose? Only have to build an new hangar if we ripe it out and fix the car too. It's only money... sounds like fun to me!

So here we are Stan's in the car pulling up to the beam and punching it until she BANGS to a stop!

Unreal 4 or 5 BANGS and the hanger is still intact and it's almost straight and the hood actually closes. Although the hood had over 1/4" gap and appears to be open. They are going to notice that and the bumper is still bent and point up.

No problem for Stan. He just drilled a hole at the bottom and safety wires it so it's now looks almost new except for the hood gap and if you open the hood you could see the shinny safety wire. So we painted the wire black and you could see nothing = like magic.

All too soon it's time to go home and I'm driving the guys back to the airport. It's early in the morning as Stan wanted to drive for some reason right after we got fuel.

I tell the guys I'll pay for a room so we don't have to wait at the airport for our flights and we book a room in Orlando.

I get the key and come out of the hotel lobby with it and point at the room to the guys waiting in the car and start walking to the room.

This tall young thug come up in a trench coat and ask me if I have any money I can give me? I reach in my pocket but only have debit and credit card left so say sorry no and walk on.

He following me now about 15 feet behind and I open the room and leave the door open but the light off and head for the head.. leaving that door open too.

When I come out the guy is in the doorway about 1 foot in the dark until I just now flip on the light confronting him with what are you doing in my room and start an aggressive approach towards him. He did not expect that and backs out just as my 3 large friends Stan, Jeff, Dave (and Tim to right) come up to the door with their bags and he runs away.

I tell the guys about and we have another laugh as we describe the ass beating he was about to receive.

Now were are hearing GUN SHOTS and police sirens ALL NIGHT, a woman screaming etc, etc, etc... and there are not enough beds and they are COCKROACHES crawling on the floor that we can see.

Stan HATES cockroaches and could not sleep all night! He looked burn out but was up with all the Stan energy as usual.

I slept like a baby and so did Jeff and he was on the floor with the cockroaches!

I've got to go for a while be back with the rest of the story it is not over!!!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 pm
Profile WWW

OK the end of the adventure...

Now understand returning the car without them noticing is now a MISSION and I/we are not thinking like rational adults.

We head to the airport and as we arrive I ask if anyone wants to go with me to drop off the car? No takers, drop us off at the door and we will wait for you here.

So I drive under the parking structure to the rental drop off and it so early that the attendants have nothing to do but all look at the car as it's the only one.

The lead young woman come out opens the door records the gas and millage get out and walks towards the back looking for scratches etc.

When the come to the front and the hood she looks under it at the bumper and then actually tries to push the hood closed as it appears ajar and I know I'm busted!!!

But NO she walks on and I start laughing... I cannot help it as I'm in disbelief.

In shock I walk away still laughing and as soon as I turn the corner. I'm thinking now what can I do to my friends... Hmmmm

So as I walk up the stairs I grab my cell and call Dave Bacon Cell. He answers saying... Oh it's John now guys instead of hello.

I say "OK Dave one of you have to come down to the Orlando Police Department division 63 and bail me out of jail!!!! I tried to tell her I did not know how it was damaged but it wasn't us I drive like a little old lady.

I head Dave telling them on the phone and in person as I'm just now walking up behind them with Dave looking almost at me. They are asking each other what time is your flight?

Then Dave see me and points and they start chasing me... I was looking for a security guard or cop to finish the prank off by running up to him saying those guys are trying to mug me and then denying I knew them. But there is never a cop around when you want one.

Now we are all laughing and feeling so proud of ourselves for getting away with it!!!

We say our good byes and we are all off to different gates.

As soon as I sit down I start thinking how would I like it if someone did that to a business I owned and worse what if some poor couple with kids off to Disneyland gets blamed for it and has to pay for it???? I look at the time and only 20 min's tell boarding so it's too late now.

Ok the next morning it is really bothering me. I have an insurance policy that will cover it with a small deductible and also I used a credit card that is suppose to have full insurance including rental of it for the days it being repaired. This is just evil what we/I did. It was a heck of a lot of fun but I had to call the rental co.

The story is not over. It wasn't easy as I thought...

IIRC

I call up the airport office and talk first with a clerk. An I tell her I had an accident in one of there car and I'm calling to pay and have it repaired.
She says "OK where are you and the car now and we will come pick you up?" What? "I'm in San Diego Ca but the car was returned to you."
"Oh well sir if you already returned it then there is not enough damage for you to have to pay for anything."

No you do not understand. We bent the frame the bumper is tie wired in place and we hooked a chain up to a post and drove it in reverse to bend the fame back in place. It wrecked and I do not want someone else to get blamed for it."

Oh OK I'll call and have them check it what is your number I'll have to call you back. But if we accepted it then there really isn't any need to worry.

I get the call back the next day for a man who tell me good news the car is fine!

WHAT???? The car is NOT FINE! Are you sure you looked at the right car. Yes sir the car was even serviced and inspected by us.... goodbye.

Now what do I do? I tried?

So I call the president of the co and get through and tell him the story and explain that I do not want some poor family getting blamed for this can he check it out for me.
He laughed about the way we fixed it, our ages etc and when he called back told me he was so thankful and it had never happen before.

It cost my credit card company $3,700+ IIRC and as the saying goes. Renting Nisan =just money. Flying Nisan priceless!!!

Every time I go to El Mirage in a rental car I find out what the top end really is! Science is so much fun! = Priceless again!!

BTW I'm always willing to pick you up at the airport! Just let me know???? Bahahahaha

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Whenever I rent a car, I always ring them about 10 minutes after I leave from picking it up, to say I think the steering is a bit 'funny' and they need to have it checked when I bring it back.... that way, If I bend it while I have it, I just say "I rang you 10 minutes after I picked it up and said there was something wrong with it!" they check and sure enough, it was reported to head office and the time logged,,, :yoda2 :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2