It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Testing out the winter mods on OZ'rora. 

When the weather gets down in the 30-40's ... I found I needed to cover some of the oil radiator ... to get the oil warmed up & into recommended operating zone! I did this last winter & for a few laps around the airport it worked great!

I found out while testing the baffle I just added to the coolant radiator ... that the unseasonalble warm day (around 60) was too warm to use the oil radiator baffle!

The CHT 's were right in their happy place ...... but after 20 minutes flight time the oil temps kept slowly rising past the normal operating temp .... I was glad to have lingered with-in a mile of the airport after the initial pattern flight to make a calm rapid return & precautionary landing.

I'll try again next day the temps are just above freezing & the winds are suitable & see if the current winter oil & coolant baffles will allow sustained operation & stable engine temps!

=

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 am
Site Admin

You fly so well Chris, you are a credit to your instructors :plike

Can we see a pic of the baffle on there? Did you just uncover some of the pre drilled holes? Or did you have to take it off and drill some or reduce its size? :noidea :pop

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 am

Thank-you for the kind words Muz! Desmon takes the lion's share of credit for my training ... he does not visit here often anymore! I'm sure it would mean al lot if some-one gave him some credit on RWF too! He has caught a LOT of flack esp from the older seasoned CFI's ... as he came roaring on the US gyro scene when MTO's first came in ... a very enthusiastic sport CFI ... soon upgraded to full CFI ... trravelled a lot to train students all over ... & got caught up in a VERY UNFAIR situation where the FAA targeted the WRONG guy in a sad fatality of an impatient pilot transitioning to his single without a CFI supervising!
He had his share of "learning- experiences" as as young CFI ..... was forced to slow down ( a time-out from instructing gyro) by circumstances ... many of us are looking forwards to the time he regains his CFI ... he has SO much to offer! The obstacles appear to have been largely removed from his path forwards by now! Expect him to be back in 2015!

below is the other side of the coolant rad baffle ( IPad ... only 1 pic / post! :head )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 am

Good grief Muz ... DO you EVER SLEEP ?????? ...... you keep strange hours & always on here! :boink :rofl

As you were replying ... i uploaded the pics!

I don't have tools to drill large enough holes ... so I just decided to try the 1/2 sheet & trim it if necessary!

My workshop is VERY basic - my abilities low-tech! :Cheapass

Thanks for the good ideas ... looks like it will work for the few flights I'll do in the next couple of weeks!

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:59 am
Site Admin

:rofl :rofl :rofl

A jigsaw will cut the holes, or you can cut it narrower in the middle like 'hour glass' shape, but holes, even square holes are good, then you can duct tape over some and if the weather warms up, you can peel off some of the tape :laughing :laughing

What do you mean? It is only 1am :noidea that's early :rofl :rofl

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:04 am

Very nice Chris .... you are like a free bird up there ..... smooth too ..... I REALLY like the way you mount the camera .... it gives a perfect view of the ground with a bit of the machine showing .... and the sound is just right ... and the added text comments make for a perfect video .

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:14 am

By time I get back from OZ in Feb ... get the 912 service, gyro annual & rotorhead mods done ( with Jakes help) ... plus a lot of other little tweaks ... it 'll be warm enough to toss the rad baffles just go fly - as usual!

This is just a very short term/ temp deal! ... not worth putting in too much more effort!

Damn .... it's SOOO freak'n COLD outside today!!!! ....serious wind-chill too!

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:34 am
Site Admin

here too....brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 am

:fuckum :cry

FICKU
.... go rub it in Gabs!!! :die

... NO RAD BAFFLES needed THERE!!!! ........ just too many bloody people, nutters & crime! :gay

... for the metric challenged ..... in F` & mph! :Flag

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 pm
Site Admin

Try this for size.... in Celsius 20c is 68f and 30c is 86f :Wolvie

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

22 days ... SO outta here .... time to go thaw out!!!! :whoop

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Chris ..... re: covering your cooler .... in our cold temps here a lot of people cover oil coolers and radiators with a piece of Gunny Sack (aka seed bag) (aka potato sack) (aka Burlap)

It is made of Jute , really tough , good breathability (lets some air through).... light , cheap , folds up small for storage

Fastening it can be a hassle ..... some guys make it like a big sock and slip it over the cooler , but that only works if the plumbing and mounts are all on one end .... I have seen zippers sown on ... lots of ideas ... if one layer does not restrict air enough they use 2 layers etc. ... mainly you do not want it blowing into your prop.

Its not very pretty for your nice gyro .... it will look like some old farmer made it .... :) :) :)

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 pm

I have also seen serrated aluminum baking pans used , various hole sizes , some guys keep an assortment for different temps ... just cut to size .... not a lot of structural strength .... could be a concern if it sees a lot of wind (like on a gyro)

But they does be Pretty :) :)

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:51 pm

You could try McNichols company for some perforated metal or
plastic. It should make a good looking installation to.

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perfo ... MgodBE4AwQ

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:57 pm

And if you want to make it super nice take the perforated metal to your
local sheet metal shop or heating and air conditioning shop and have them
shear it to size and hem the edges.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:03 pm

14days :OZ here we come!

Got that :gyro2 :D dopey-face on again ... perfect day to retest the rad baffle ..... 40ish & fine ... 5-7kts from 90 ... I LOVE the 08 runway ..... so I just did as many tight-short close patterns as I could in 30 mins .... not much other traffic to worry ... fit in nicely with the FW's on 17! Just sweet magic ... practice a variety of landings .... coolant & oil temps absolutely perfect!!!
I think any flying in 30-40's this set-up is just right ... when the temps are over 50 ... it all comes off! Not going to do much more this winter anyway ... hope for one more fly ... then pull the rotor head for annual & Jakes . mods!
A bit sad in a way ... OZ'rora will never be a stock Butterfly again... but look forwards to a much better safer gyro! :whoop

:2weeks

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]