It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is this a new / flying 4 place Aerocopter? 

Is this a new / flying 4 place Aerocopter?

Or just a rumor?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - V.P. of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft
http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

Can they qualify that at 1250 or 1320# ?

Would be cool to see Gyro's broaden their offerings.... would add to gyro's being a legitimate part of aviation.... rather than home-built barnstormer toys.

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:59 pm
Site Admin

Not even a realistic concept people!
The prop size is sooooo tiny it's not even funny.
:dizzy :dizzy :dizzy :laughing :laughing :laughing

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:01 pm

GyroGeorgia wrote:

Why? A 4-place aircraft is not legal with sport pilot rating regardless of weight.

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Gabor wrote:
Not even a realistic concept people!
The prop size is sooooo tiny it's not even funny.
:dizzy :dizzy :dizzy :laughing :laughing :laughing

I should have looked at it more closely. But when emailed and asked I said I don't know... but know where to find out!!! Bingo.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This is the problem with the modelling software. They make them look so damn real!!!
I always look for the background and the whole concept as a realistic airworthy aircraft.
This is a flight simulator concept.
The skin would have so much lift the way it is designed that it could accidentally unload the rotor.
Unless of course if they under size the blades....
But than they would have to deal with blade speed and garbage like that.....
Also look at the position of the mast!!!!
That far back in the rear that thing would nose over hahahaaaaaaa
We can sell it though....DiNelly does the same thing! LOL

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Gabor wrote:
This is the problem with the modelling software. They make them look so damn real!!!
I always look for the background and the whole concept as a realistic airworthy aircraft.
This is a flight simulator concept.
The skin would have so much lift the way it is designed that it could accidentally unload the rotor.
Unless of course if they under size the blades....
But than they would have to deal with blade speed and garbage like that.....
Also look at the position of the mast!!!!
That far back in the rear that thing would nose over hahahaaaaaaa

We can sell it though....DiNelly does the same thing! LOL

Was thinking about that... looks front-heavy.

Question: On a gyro... what is wrong with the body producing lift?
Seems like a good idea to me.

THX

Owner/builder of

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47 pm
Site Admin

It is not a good idea. The lift is variable and the rotor disc doesn't like to be unloaded and then suddenly loaded again.
Lifting surfaces have to be very carefully calculated not to create more than 10-15% MAX lift of the rotor disc's lifting capacity.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 pm

VAPORWARE ,If I had a dime for every P.O.S that roll out of the pike. Artsey Fartsy bull. :bunny

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Gabor wrote:
It is not a good idea. The lift is variable and the rotor disc doesn't like to be unloaded and then suddenly loaded again.
Lifting surfaces have to be very carefully calculated not to create more than 10-15% MAX lift of the rotor disc's lifting capacity.

THX Gabor..

I can see how a FW works to have a body that is a lifting surface...
Yet was not clear as to why a rotorcraft would not gain from that same body lift.

THX for the answer.

GA

Owner/builder of

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:32 pm
Site Admin

Yes John on the fix wing all lifting surfaces are constant to each other. On the gyro the rotor disc tilting and will differential lift compared to the winglets. Not a good idea when you have to calculate vector forces.....

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 pm
Site Admin

GyroGeorgia wrote:

Would be cool to see Gyro's broaden their offerings.... would add to gyro's being a legitimate part of aviation.... rather than home-built barnstormer toys.

GG, gyros will never be anything but homebuilt barnstormer toys, in my opinion..... yes the factories building the clones make nice looking machines, but they are basically overweight barnstorming toys with nice pods and fairings.... they have only come about because of the lightweight reliable power plants on offer.....

The trouble with gyros since the start has been weight..... the more a gyro weighs, the more power it needs, the more drag it makes, the faster it has to lift off and land..... they become clumsy with heavier weights and although they make nice cross country machines, they are not as much 'fun' as just open or semi podded homebuilts.....

With the modern composites, modern engines etc available since about the 90's, if gyros could have been used as 3 or 4 seaters, it would have been done by now.... but it has been proven time and time again that to carry more than 2 medium sized people, costs too much in weight, drag and fuel to ever be considered for anything like mass produced type general aviation.....

I believe the next step gyros will take, is like a euro clone, but lose the frame and go monocock construction in carbon fiber, retractible and air conditioning/heating in the enclosed type..... All of the euro clones prove that that weight of machine can fly, the next step is to reduce the weight of the machine so at least the machine can carry 2 decent sized people and a decent amount of gas..... and to burn less gas doing it....

To me, real gyros will always be home built barnstormers :laughing I hope they never go away :pop

On the body creating lift, that is a definite no no.... nothing can be allowed to carry the gyro except the rotor.... anything that might possibly give any lift has to be behind the mast (CofG) because anything that unloads the rotor is inviting disaster. I have heard of people thinking of fitting canard wings at the front.... :eek but due to the way the rotor works it is obvious to me at least how deadly any sort of wing forward of the cofg would be.... no matter how cool it may look :pop :laughing

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 pm

LOCKHEED CHEYENNE

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:00 am
Site Admin

Powered rotors are completely different animals!!!!

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:23 am

Gabor wrote:
Yes John on the fix wing all lifting surfaces are constant to each other. On the gyro the rotor disc tilting and will differential lift compared to the winglets. Not a good idea when you have to calculate vector forces.....

And won't the extra lift from the wings cause light G loadings on the rotors especially the faster you go = not good either in a aircraft that drags the rotors through the air to create lift? Right?

With wings I can go negative G's before I can stop it and have to fly back through it. But it doesn't matter in FW it fun to go weightless! Not so much in a gyro.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Hillberg wrote:
LOCKHEED CHEYENNE

Same as the Fairy Rotordyne.... Like Gabs said.... completely different for driven rotor systems :yoda2 :Nazi :punch

I don't want to beat you up.... just wanted to try the new icon :laughing :laughing :pop

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 am
Site Admin

ALL IN wrote:
Gabor wrote:

And won't the extra lift from the wings cause light G loadings on the rotors especially the faster you go = not good either in a aircraft that drags the rotors through the air to create lift? Right?

With wings I can go negative G's before I can stop it and have to fly back through it. But it doesn't matter in FW it fun to go weightless! Not so much in a gyro.

FW's can fly negative until your eyes pop :eek A gyro, the rotors are flying.... the 'airframe' is suspended below (but not flying).... the airframe of a gyro can not fly and must not fly.... any time you unweight the rotor, you risk a powered pushover.... unweighting means .5 of a G is not enough weight on the rotor.... it can and will slow down very quickly.... :eek

If someone made a gyro with winglets or lifting body... say they got to cruising speed say 60 mph and the body can create a .5 G situation at 70 mph..... the machine would go to 70 mph and the rotor would begin to slow down at 75 mph or the first gust of wind, the rotors would fold up and you would find yourself sitting in a lawn dart looking at your crash site (soon to be... very soon) :badluck :killme :laughing :laughing

That is also why, if there is X amount of drag from the pod/canopy in an absolute vertical descent, there has to be more than X amount of drag downwards (greater area) in the tail setup or horizontal stabilizer.... otherwise, in a true vertical, the machine would descend tail low and often slip backwards (tail slide/rudder reversal yada yada yada), which can be catastrophic as the prop blast could be blown away from tail/HS surfaces... :yoda2 Which makes for a bad day usually :badluck :yoda2

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 am

It looks cool, but unless they are going to reduce pitch and speed of the rotors like Crater is trying to do and fly on the wings only then WHAT ARE THEY THINKING with those wings?????

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I think someone has just been smoking crack and thought they would draw a pretty picture even tho they know nothing about gyrocopters.... especially weight and balance and thrust requirements to begin with :yoda2 :dizzy :laughing :laughing

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 am
Hummmmmmm........... :realcrazy

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next