It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Stories of my dad 

My dad..Cliff Foster...was an amazing person of faith as long as I can remember. He left a legacy and as he lay dying in the hospital, he still is. He isn't worried one bit as he watches us gathering around him. He keeps saying "pray for the world"

I will compile some stories here that I swear will not be exaggerated in any way..lest God smite me from the face of this earth. Too many things have I witnessed happened , that I don't have to make anything up.

Dad was very independent and so was I. He was very hard to work for , especially when I wasn't interested in farming. I had to go make my own shadow, but I didn't know how to break his bond over me. That story later. ....but on to the stories........

THE SLAVE

One night dad, mom and I arrived home from church late one Sunday evening to find someone at dads farm gas tank filling his car with free gas. Dad confronted this person whom he immediately recognized as a local trouble maker. He told the guy to report for farm work the next morning at 7 a.m. or he would call the sheriff and press charges right now.

The guy was scared and said he would be here in the morning.

Monday morning came and here was the guy ringing the door bell at 6:45 a.m.

Didn't wake dad or I up, we were waiting. Dad gave him a set of Osh Kosh coveralls to put on and a machete. Dad told him to start walking a beanfield and chop out all the weeds. Report for lunch at 12...then work till 5 pm. go home,, repeat at 7 a.m. Done Friday at 5p.m. with your punishment. Simple rules, but if you don't follow them, I call the sheriff. He humbly obliged and he looked like a slave out in the field. Mom was nervous as she prepared delicious home cooked meals for this daytime prisoner .

The week wore on and finally 5 p.m arrived on Friday. Dad told him to keep the coveralls, and asked him how many hours he had walked beans. The guy looked perplexed as he added them up. Dad wrote him out a check with a bonus and the guy had tears in his eyes. That guy never got into trouble again that we were aware of. An outstanding citizen he became. THANK YOU dad!

Last edited by Hellified on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 am
AND...................Come On give us the Paul Harvey...............

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 am

I hit submit by accident. Reread my first post. The story is there....and several more to follow.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 am
Site Admin

Please keep them coming.
:first

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 am
Site Admin

Your dad certainly was a 'gem' :like

He certainly brought up (dragged/kicked up :rofl ) one good son!

I bet he is very proud of you.... :first

:wol

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 am

GREAT story Stan, you Dad sounds like a GREAT guy!
And a patient one... he raised you... :laughing

The story was GREAT... would love to hear more.

GA

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:39 pm

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK

There is no doubt I was raised in a rough and tumble family. My dads brother absolutely hated my dad with a vengeance. He was envious of how dad prospered through hard work and good business decisions while his brother tried to con the world. Dads brother would get so mad around dad when he would see him in a public place that he would start circling back and forth...and actually be frothing at the mouth. Dad was NOT afraid of him...except that he did not want to punch his brother out if attacked...so dad would just leave the area.

One day at a Foster Christmas get together.....my dad had been given a set of channel lock pliers as a gift and he was holding them in his hand. His brother came up to him and started cussing....and carrying on in his face....then draws back to hit dad in the jaw. On his back swing he hit my grandma and knocked her down, then hit dad. Dad stood there and turned the other cheek and told him to hit that one. His brother refused not knowing how dad would react as he would have no other cheek to turn......His brother backed away and I would say my dad won hands down.

I NEVER have been to a Foster reunion since....and that was 47 years ago.

More stories....

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 pm

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK.....NOT THIS TIME

My moms sister was married to one of the toughest bar fighters in Paxton. His name was Babe Eichelberger. This guys name was always in the paper for getting in fights and hurting people.

He never liked my dad for his stand on Christianity.....and was at our house when I was around 10 years old. He mockingly challenged my dad to a fight...saying he could whip him easily. It was raining outside and dad said...lets go outside and you can throw the first swing.

Babe wound up like a clock and threw a swing at dad. Dad ducked and came up from underneath with an awesome uppercut to the chin that lifted Babe off the ground. He was knocked out before he hit his head flat on the sidewalk which probably would have knocked him out again.

We went inside and mom asked.."Where is Babe?" Dad said...."Oh..he will come to" We ended up hauling his limp body inside where he finally came to. He never bothered my dad again.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 pm

These are great Stan! You should write a book, seriously!

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 pm

gyrocfi wrote:
These are great Stan! You should write a book, seriously!

that is a good story, my dad had a mental illness so the story wouldn't play out so well.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I've heard this story and many others but I do enjoy reading it again... Great man and good father!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - V.P. of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft
http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I am hoping you would share some more with us Stan when you get a chance.
:like

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:54 am

Gabor- I will share some more stories.....

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 am
Site Admin

I like that video of when you hovered over to him in the field in the turbinator.... that was cool as! :like :pop

:wol

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:33 am
Thanks Stan. Wonderful stories; reminds me to keep remembering my great folks. My Dad was such a softie, he cried watching Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie. :)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:54 am
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with that....
My daughter came over a couple months ago and my wife was searching for something when my daughter started squealing like a pig.
She was waving her 2,3,4,5,6 years old paintings and Christmas cards she made in kindergarten.
She said "Daddy I had no idea you have kept them".....
I locked the door when she left and sobbed for an hour!......
:cry :cry :cry
Sadistic biatch

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 am

Short story but ol so dad.

When I was a junior in high school, I had a social studies teacher named Charlie Climber. He was 100% communist and was always saying what was so wrong with the United States and what was so right with Russia.

I would share some of his communist lectures from his pulpit with dad and mom at the dinner table.

My dad after a few weeks got fed up and gave me a message to give to Mr. Climber in my class the next day.

I could not wait to be the messenger for this!

The next day in class, after yet another anti USA/pro Russia rant.....I raised my hand for a comment. He asked what do I want?

I said that my dad had a message for you. He says he would buy you a one way airfare ticket to Russia.....if you would stay there!

My class was immediately disrupted with laughter. I was sternly sent to the office for a detention and a conference with the principal and teacher. I wasn't a bit afraid and suggested a meeting with my dad to get this resolved. The woosy teacher declined, but I got straight D's in his class after that. I told him at the end of the year that receiving D's was a compliment coming from a communist.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:36 am
My First and Middile name start with a D!!! :bigballs

:whoop

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 am

Hellified wrote:
Short story but ol so dad.

When I was a junior in high school, I had a social studies teacher named Charlie Climber. He was 100% communist and was always saying what was so wrong with the United States and what was so right with Russia.

I would share some of his communist lectures from his pulpit with dad and mom at the dinner table.

My dad after a few weeks got fed up and gave me a message to give to Mr. Climber in my class the next day.

I could not wait to be the messenger for this!

The next day in class, after yet another anti USA/pro Russia rant.....I raised my hand for a comment. He asked what do I want?

I said that my dad had a message for you. He says he would buy you a one way airfare ticket to Russia.....if you would stay there!

My class was immediately disrupted with laughter. I was sternly sent to the office for a detention and a conference with the principal and teacher. I wasn't a bit afraid and suggested a meeting with my dad to get this resolved. The woosy teacher declined, but I got straight D's in his class after that. I told him at the end of the year that receiving D's was a compliment coming from a communist.

I was in similar situations when I was in high school... without a Dad who either understood or would speak up.

Idiot teachers... someone had to set the record straight... :)

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:12 am

Damn you got lucky. I got Fs, Stupid commie bitches, :bunny

Was it also because I didn't give a shit? :pbunny

could be :fuckum

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]