It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PRA Website Hacked 

John: That's not an easy site to move. It has lots of related fiddly bits jumping in and out of compiled code with little rhyme or reason.

By the way, if you want a quick reindex, just create a webmaster tools account for Google and another for Bing and submit a current sitemap (sitemap.xml). Bing will index it THAT DAY...and Google won't be far behind. There may already be webmaster tools accounts for the site...but somehow I rather doubt it. It would probably be a good thing to start new accounts up with a login you can rely upon.

If you do not have tools that can create a sitemap for that large a site, let me know.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
If you ask me ( and no one did) the PRA site needs a redo from scratch.

A new look makes ppl feel it's like a new start...just setup a new one before you make a complete switch over.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Gabor wrote:
Thank you Jon for leading me to iPage!
You da mostbestestest :Flag

I can agree with this also... just left Network non-solution and went to Ipage... Nice folks, tech support is GREAT!
A very positive experience setting things up.

THX Jon... appreciate it!

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 am

JonCarleton wrote:
John: That's not an easy site to move. It has lots of related fiddly bits jumping in and out of compiled code with little rhyme or reason.

By the way, if you want a quick reindex, just create a webmaster tools account for Google and another for Bing and submit a current sitemap (sitemap.xml). Bing will index it THAT DAY...and Google won't be far behind. There may already be webmaster tools accounts for the site...but somehow I rather doubt it. It would probably be a good thing to start new accounts up with a login you can rely upon.

If you do not have tools that can create a sitemap for that large a site, let me know.

Hi Bro

OK that's is what I did and it's working.

U-Rock Jon!!! Thank you.

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - V.P. of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft
http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:43 am
Profile WWW

Flying Wolverine wrote:

A new look makes ppl feel it's like a new start...just setup a new one before you make a complete switch over.

This BOD agrees with you. We are demoing software looking for the best replacement.

Thank you, it's nice to have smart friends!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - V.P. of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft
http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:44 am
Profile WWW

Flying Wolverine wrote:

Right idea, but a LOT of work. My guess is that it is about 500 hours of work to do a first-class re-write. There is a ton of information on that website and it is not well organized, not well edited (some suff is obsolete or incorrect) and in some cases, not even operational. Just sorting through and extracting the good stuff from the junk will take quite a bit of time. Then there is the need to incorporate information that isn't there and should be. A LOT of work.

If I were still a PRA member, my concern would be the project would be either sent to the provider of a low bid solution, which would crash and burn for lack of understand of the scope and the business needs of the organization or it would be sent to a provider with a solution that would incrementally cost the organization more than it could possibly afford. In the latter case, the initial cost may not be apparently great, but inevitable extras, support and other unforseen issues and afterthoughts are like termites to fresh wood in these cases. Not just because it is the PRA...this is what most businesses fail to do properly when faced with such a business problem to solve.

I wish the BOD good luck in their efforts.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Well they (the BOD) would do well to back it all up first like I did with the RWF.

Get some large terabit usb drives and start downloading the entire site.......
then find a good sifter and get after it.

It only takes a few days of constant downloading to get it done.

Now if RWF goes down or there is a loss during upgrades etc I will have my own little RWF library. :drum

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Backup/Restore isn't the problem. John indicated above that he has a copy, and the whole site is only about 7.5G, so it fits easily on a $9.95 8G WalMart USB stick. With goDaddy's limitations, it should completely download on a reasonably fast connection in about 20 minutes.

Keeping what is there isn't a problem. Fixing it so that it is a valuable asset to the community is the bit that requires work.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Gabor should give a class in get r done.

To bad I generally don't like the way it's run or not run selectively or I would step forward and help out.

But since I do have issues with the way it is run or not.... I cannot help out in support of the missing the boat attitudes. Just saying. :dizzy

So I am part of that problem.........that non 10% discount I never got from a certain sponsor and manufacture which is what prompted me to sign up as a PRA member sure earned it's lack of commitment from me........and I will not buy or support that manufacturer now either. Sure hope I never need a set of rotor blades from him in the future....might have to reconsider my options but only in that one regard.

Do u think I am the only one who did not get my monies worth and the learning curve knowledge test by trial and fire i receive still to this day. Undoubtedly NO....but it doesn't leave me wanting to be involved
now either......and there are times when I can and would be a part of the solution..........but not today!!!

I suppose I am on my own where I can expect I will do what's in my own best interest instead of trying to fit in or be the solution for others. Selfish....definitely, however, I did not come to this place without the steering committee helping me get here.

OK nothing new in my assessment so tuning out now. :badluck

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:44 pm
Site Admin

I can't....I am NOT AN EXPERT!
But I do sincerely wish that the new BOD would NOT take shit from the dinosaurs and kicked them off.
The only way anything will change.
I am just not seeing it as long as the attitude isn't changing from being a boss to being a leader.
Bosses yell out orders from behind their desks.
Leaders are in the front row pulling!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Those that truly Lead inspire others. Those that depend upon authority from a leadership title and expect others to follow orders may be successful in business, although they will usually fail in volunteer organizations while blaming their failure on a lack of volunteers.

The difference usually revolves around their attitude or motivation to control others.

:Nazi

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2