It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 cool BMW gyro 

I found a cool looking gyro on the Australian forum, looks good, only problem is that the tail wheel is on the ground too, but other than that it looks great, looks like a bellcrank type control system too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:42 am
Site Admin

That is cool! I hope no issues with cooling.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:30 pm

I like the multiple control (probably from a helicopter) handle on the stick... wonder what he has all the controls connnected to?

Also like the glass dash... may look into one of those for mine.

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm
Site Admin

The 4 way rocker switch is usually the trim. Red on top radio frequency change. Trigger is mic. Pinky switch landing light. But that is very unlikely on that machine :laughing

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 pm
Site Admin

I am pretty sure that is a Rosco mixer which has pushrods under the seat to a bellcrank each side of the mast, with pushrods up to the head. I use a similar mixer for Teleflex cables straight from the mixer to the head, eliminating all of the pushrods and heim joints..... no :drama

The pic is of one a guy was copying that shows it a bit closer up.

When the builder took these pics, it was in mock up stage, that is why the stick isn't welded and it has temporary plywood cheek plates, assembled with temporary hardware bolts etc, so nothing is finished, but it gives you an idea how it works. :bigballs

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 am
Site Admin

This is becoming more and more popular for some reason opposed to the control horn configuration.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 am

Any pros and cons of this type system? Vs the walking beam?
I know how Gabor feels about teleflex cables...But any other input?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:28 am
Site Admin

I don't necessarily oppose the Teleflex applications. I only had bad luck with them. They have been used successfully and if you have the right size and keep an eye out for signs of wear and tear it is as good as any other form of linear movement control system. As I said I am just gun shy but that's just my misfortune. :badluck

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:42 am

I thought that you had an aversion to cables, and were just a pushrod kind of guy. :boink

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:50 am
Site Admin

By using good quality cables, you bypass many areas of slop in stick systems that might have 10 heim joints or more, 6 pushrods, bellcranks or brock type stick mechanisms that of course wear after time(as does everything, including pilots). With a good mixer with needle bearings in the pivots, you only have 2 heim joints per cable to worry about. If you move the stick 1/4" the head moves immediately. I have had machines with brock sticks, that if you stand at the machine and pull the stick upwards, the mechanism can lift quite noticeably, when moving the stick it takes 1/4" of movement before the head starts to respond.

I don't mind brock sticks, I prefer them to pump sticks, but I love my cables.... when someone is used to another type of stick mechanism and try cables for the first time, it is a bit of a spin out because the cables are so accurate and sensitive (which I like)

The 5/16" (core) Teleflex cables can push 300# and pull 500# so are more than strong enough... I bet if someone pushed their brock or pump stick with 200# (if the head was locked in place) there would be some creaking and groaning from all of the heim joints and pushrods trying to 'exit, stage left' :rofl

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 am

AG-1 has been done in BMW powerplant as well.
They prefer Rotax though because one has to keep a closer eye on overheating an air-cooled pusher engine on a machine that can slow down into the 20's. Also it is a bit heavier but AG-1 is actually available with BMW conversion like this one.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]