It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Behemoth 
Site Admin

Well Gordon and I had the thing working last time by removing the main cylinder and get the air out of it. I have no idea what happened to the damn thing. It seems though as if the size of the brake pad is tiny and the pressure is way too great for what we are using it. There might be a better way but for now I just want to fix this so I can keep practicing. In this little incident it had revealed how much I am just not used to the machine yet and my reactions were off. I have no business flying it yet!!!!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:32 am

Now I wish we had taken a little time to check a few things before we left yesterday.

Most likely is hydraulic system breached, so pressure cannot build. This should be indicated by the presence of hydraulic fluid at the breach (follow the tubing).

The other possibility, although less likely, is internal failure of the master cylinder so that no pressure is created and system is still intact.

If you believe that the system is not putting enough pressure on the pads, then you will have to change out the master cylinders to the 5/8" size.

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm
Site Admin

I saw air in the line. There is no visible leak. It got air in the line. Maybe one of the nipples don't seal properly.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Shoot, just put an air compressor onboard, and use air brakes!

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Another item on the check list, DIAPERS.
Seat tanks have holes in the bottom to relieve the suction for just such events as this. :bunny

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:26 pm
Site Admin

Who needs enemies when you have helping friends like them??? :laughing :laughing :laughing

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Gabor wrote:
I saw air in the line. There is no visible leak. It got air in the line. Maybe one of the nipples don't seal properly.

air in the line had to come from a breach somewhere. wasn't there before or pedal would have been spongy, which it wasn't when you left the hangar.

There is most likely hydraulic fluid somewhere at and near the breach.

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Some times a cylinder will move too fast for the fluid to flow and a bubble of air will pass by an 'o' ring, Seen it with Enstrom dampers, :bunny

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:41 pm

This is not simply an air bubble. The pedal is easily pushed to full travel with no effect on braking the wheel. A simple air bubble causes the pedal to be spongy while it still develops pressure and has some braking effect.

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:53 pm
Site Admin

We will see Saturday. I am sure it's an easy fix :laughing :laughing :laughing

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Gabor wrote:
We will see Saturday. I am sure it's an easy fix :laughing :laughing :laughing

shouldn't be too hard to find!!!

..... ― Pawan Mishra

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm

elwood wrote:
Shoot, just put an air compressor onboard, and use air brakes!

Air can leak too!
And much quicker!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Some master-cylinders have a check-valve and can be 'pumped-up' which shortens the peddle throw.
On this type, if dirt props up the valve, the peddle can't build pressure and if that dirt moves away, the pressure can then buildup. Intermittent bastards.
I don't know how your master-cylinder is designed.....dirt may not be the problem.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm
Site Admin

This is the type I have. A crap for 450 bux!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Doesn't look like they have reservoirs.....which is needed to 'pump-up' a system.
If there are no leaks, it could do what its doing if the fluid is passing by the piston seal or the piston has a small check-valve not seating.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 pm

I would start by turning those master cylinders upsidedown... so the output is at the bottom. Then you need a resivour on the top. End result is NO AIR in the system.

Hope you figure it out over the weekend... it is a 'pit in the stomach' feeling when one puts their foot on the brake pedal... and nothing happens... :eek

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Gabor wrote:
I lost my left brake. Ran off the freaking runway. Damn it. :badluck
Chris this is just how we roll I guess.
:cry :cry :cry

U have my deepest sympathy ....... WHEN are our miserable bitchettes going to quit "spitt'n the dummy" & turn into our sweet baby's!

I got new parts & did a taxi around this AM with the go-pro aimed at the front gear ... to compare ... how it looks now VS a vid I took a couple of months ago!!

Just been over to the machine shop ... getting the engineers inputs on how to get the nose wheel assembly I have at present - rebuilt - machined real tight ( no hand filing/honing) - Secure again ..... finish out the flying year .... & then I'll see if Jake has time this winter to do his design magic to make something that will be stout solid & safe!

Somehow I think you'll be up & going again before I! :cry

My week-end project ... pull off 2 windshields & pod & get to the front fork /steering horn bolt to remove the front fork! Bloody Hell - SO SICK OF THIS REBUILDING!!!! :what :killme :head :badluck

Good luck with the brake-line demons! ( been there - & How!) :die

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:39 pm
Site Admin

Thanks hon I am a relentless sucker. Shit brings me down only momentarily. Then the next morning I wake up and realize how good I have it because it is not the daily food that I have to fight for it is only a stupid brake! :first
I do believe that this is a test. ANd I ain't going to fail it!!!
I know you won't either. We both had our close calls and the seemingly never ending shit popping up on the way along our little adventures.
If it doesn't kill you....ya know.....We are soooooo ficking strong by now :laughing
I wish you were closer. I'd love to help you out. I am sure we could figure out a better nose wheel.
I am happy with mine!!!! Very happy indeed.
One by one. We will get our machines airworthy :killbunny
:die :die :die

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Get Jake to make you a nose wheel......I may be able to get a picture of the dominator wheel for you if you would like.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Gabor wrote:
Thanks hon I am a relentless sucker. Shit brings me down only momentarily. Then the next morning I wake up and realize how good I have it because it is not the daily food that I have to fight for, it is only a stupid brake!

That is an outstanding thought and a great way to put ones 'troubles' in their place.....

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next