It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here is the story behind DasStuka 

Hey, everyone need's a chuckle so here is my attempt to lighten up your day
Enjoy, Jerry
http://vimeo.com/

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 am
Cool Video,I use to have a Fiber glass Dune buggy I drove year round for about 2 years. yep it got cold.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:33 am

Wow, if you still had it in original condition, it would be twice what you paid for it new.
Even the kits are getting scarce now, esp the Meyers versions.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Tommy Millton had one .
We used to drive it all over the place .

I miss Tommy

WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:45 pm
DasStuka wrote:
Wow, if you still had it in original condition, it would be twice what you paid for it new.
Even the kits are getting scarce now, esp the Meyers versions.

yeah I paid $1,200 for it, had an 1800 in it, it was a blast to ride around in, the chicks loved it. this was back in the late 80's early 90's.

If ya like that, How about an $800.00 VW Gyro? I found it in a barn, paid $800.00, but there was a break in the chain of ownership and the F.A.A. would not let me register it. I did try and taxi it some, throttle got stuck and i had the worlds largest lawn mower for a few Minutes, still have back issues from that.. :(

This was before they had two place trainers. hence the reason for the 2 different tails on the Gyro in the photos. before crash... after crash.

I did love the way that Gyro sounded , I still have a video on VHS of it some where test running the engine in the back yard.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:26 pm

ScaryGary wrote:
Tommy Millton had one .
We used to drive it all over the place .

I miss Tommy

WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary ... you and Tommy have some of the coolest stories ... that is where I first knew you from years ago

You had some of the most brilliant one-liners on Rotary Wing Forum

Fuckim ,

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:41 am

I never owned a Dune buggy but I painted a few of them for people in my town

To me a Dune Buggy is a Volkswagen Beetle Chassis with a Fiberglass Body

If I went to our local sand hills it was in a 1976 F250 4X4 to sight in a 7mm

I was a heathen at the time

Low and behold here comes a prominent married church guy in his dune buggy with a very pretty 300 pound girl and a case of wine

3 times he offered to sign his nice dune buggy over to me if I would promise not to tell anybody what I saw

I would love to have a VW Dune Buggy but I told him to get out of my way so I could continue my target practice

fuckim

But I would still like to have one !!!!

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:15 am

Yep, most everyone remembers their VW days as fun filled romps!

Animal wrote:
If ya like that, How about an $800.00 VW Gyro? I found it in a barn, paid $800.00, but there was a break in the chain of ownership and the F.A.A. would not let me register it. I did try and taxi it some, throttle got stuck and i had the worlds largest lawn mower for a few Minutes, still have back issues from that.. :(
This was before they had two place trainers. hence the reason for the 2 different tails on the Gyro in the photos. before crash... after crash.
I did love the way that Gyro sounded , I still have a video on VHS of it some where test running the engine in the back yard.

Very cool gyro, and they have a very distinct sound! I really dig the overhead control stick, very simple and no linkage to worry about. Why did the gyro community ever change the design? Fighter stick more sexy?

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:26 pm
here ya go Jerry, found this in the mentone pics on facebook, what a clean v.w. set up . I bet this one really sounded good.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am
Site Admin

That's a clean good looking install!

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:15 pm
yeah I heard it had a hard landing, what do you know about this one Stan?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I have owned three VW Beetles.....two manual shift and one automatic. I loved the automatic shift the most. Also had one VW station-wagon.
The only thing I didn't like about them was the lack of adequate heating in the winter.

I believe I would still have the automatic Beetle if the teenage girl hadn't lost control of her car and accordioned my parked baby into a tree.
She was the only teenager that ever admitted to me, "I'm sorry mister......I am just a kid!".

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am

Animal wrote:
here ya go Jerry, found this in the mentone pics on facebook, what a clean v.w. set up . I bet this one really sounded good.
That is very sanitary setup. Looks to be a 1600cc Dual port with a 25/32 MM Progressive carb on top. Lots of goodies on that one!
RotoPlane wrote:
I have owned three VW Beetles.....two manual shift and one automatic. I loved the automatic shift the most. Also had one VW station-wagon.
The only thing I didn't like about them was the lack of adequate heating in the winter.
I believe I would still have the automatic Beetle if the teenage girl hadn't lost control of her car and accordioned my parked baby into a tree.
She was the only teenager that ever admitted to me, "I'm sorry mister......I am just a kid!".

Sad to hear of it's fate. I had the same problem in the winter....it was stripped for drag racing and there was no glass in the doors! ;-)

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Tim- I never heard anything about it having a hard landing....but I really was off visiting most of the time so I probably missed it.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm

The only hard landing I heard of was Bob's (?) MTO ... Craig's old red one ( NOT Bob from Auto-gyro maryland!) .... sounds like he got too slow & plopped it in hard causing the rotor to kiss the tail ... I saw the minor crease on one rotor and a bit of paint missing from the top of thetail! Sounds like he will replace the rotor ... even though some I know would fly it on - as is! ... :eek ... really doesn't look too bad ... but hell it's the ROTOR ... be nuts to take the chance!
Just the day before we were admiring his awesome control ... landing that MTO ... holding its nosewheel up in perfect balance while he picked up speed for the take-off . - magnificent touch & go's ... guess he was tired & had a brain-fart ... all too easy! :head

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:52 am

I built and flew a VW powered gyrocopter in 1976. It had an 1835 cc engine with aluminum cylinders. It flew great. Had a fantastic idle and was a major improvement on the Macs that everyone else was flying.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 am
Site Admin

That's a great looking machine! :like

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 am

Thats a nice gyro Freebird .... and I imagine it would have been a show stopper in 1976 !!!!

Kinda reminds me of something Cmdr Wallis would build.

I have always thought the VW had the coolest exhaust sound , they even sounded better than the Lycomings and Continentals , quite a few FW had them up here at one time

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:41 am
I had just heard on facebook that it had a hard landing, so you know how that goes, but it is a sweet looking v.w. set up.

Freebird, thats a cool looking gyro. got the lil nelle look going on.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:37 am
Freebird wrote:
I built and flew a VW powered gyrocopter in 1976. It had an 1835 cc engine with aluminum cylinders. It flew great. Had a fantastic idle and was a major improvement on the Macs that everyone else was flying.

is that a Darvossie (sp) head on that one?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next