It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Downloading RWF 
OK...Got half a RWF downloaded and archived on a 5 terabit usb drive.

Now to get the other half.

Who wants to help sift through all the data and dump the crap or should I leave it alone and keep it intact
as is?

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Intact.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 pm
i was kind of thinking of dumping Ronnie boyz crap post since most of it is crap anyway.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Erasing history is akin to hiltler thinking. Take the good with the bad said grandma.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 pm
maybe others grannies say that.

My grandma always said if u don't have anything nice to say keep quite.

I never learned that lesson well either.

Of course they are my hard drives after all.........thanks for the opinion.

Last edited by Flying Wolverine on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Yep, everyone has one.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 pm
:laughing :laughing

OKey Dokey.....But that's not what I meant.

I was hoping to get a more astute opinion/s as to preserving content that has meaning and some of the postings are rather menial and congestive and brain dead commentary such as Ronnie and a
few others.

I personally find these mind numbing and not of much use in commentary or practical knowledge.

Others such as Chuck B. who have been there done that and forgot more then I will ever know and understand are worth preserving.

I do see where you seem to be going.

I'll see what others might suggest as to it's value before I decide if I will share it or scrap the en-devour
for posterity.

The way I see it RWF won't last.

At least there will be an archive not controlled by Hitler like thinking as u put it like I have seen and experienced at the RWF!!!!

:wol

Last edited by Flying Wolverine on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:11 pm

While I am a fan of history... I believe history repeats itself... and a student of history has an inside view of tomorrow...

I would handle the RWF forum posts this way:
Keep an un-edited copy of them archived... just in case.
Then do a second copy (from the archived full copy) and go through and edit out the drama.

If I was editing, the tech data and event stuff (pictures) are what are of interest to me.
That would include, of course, the build threads.

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 pm

The Rotary Forum has a most valuable collection of information, build threads , and a good feeling of each and every persons character that posts much there. Of course you have very professional posts that people poop in from time to time. Thankfully excellent moderating keeps most in check and the trash deleted. They don't get it all as some would have none deleted, some want every crosswise fart deleted. Somewhere in between lies the answer. But, most of us are grown adults and just grow our skin thicker.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:09 pm
Stan you are ever the diplomat!

You do realize that without prior permission this archiving is heisting content that is not being compensated.

Legally there is not much to be done since the info will not be used for commercial purposes and while keeping the info intact re-posting it else where in an edited form helps limit that legal line from being crossed as in a plagiarism case.

But none the less should be archived by parties interested so it does not disappear.

Maybe I am being paranoid??? Nooo???? To be determined i suppose.....

Again though who am I to decide for the whole?

Doing this is for me to gain personal knowledge as well as educational reasons.

Ego's and persona's come and go!!! I will be the first to admit I am not much of either.

When I cease to exist I am confident I will not be missed by History or ppl in general.

Thankx for the input!

Last edited by Flying Wolverine on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Some may consider my postings crap. I would think that a person of your advertised philosophy would adhere to preserving every scrap of history.

If not, I have misjudged you. Either way my opinion stands.

:Flag

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 pm
would not mind having my falcon build thread saved and the trash edited out.
I won't ever post on that Forum again and the sooner it dies the better in my eyes.
fox guarding the hen house over there. I use to enjoy sharing my knowledge, but after the way things went over there, screw it I will only help people I know that contact me in private.

I am sure there is a lot of good tech info from years gone by before Ronnie became a mod.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Editing out all the nonsense and filler...ah well, there go all my posts. Still, I can think of no more honorable place for them than the bit bucket.

From a pure data-cleansing standpoint, I'd say keep it all. There are many threads where the correct answer to a query lies in a brief one-liner amid a mass of detailed misinformation. Sorting through all of that would require a LOT of work. As to weeding out particular contributors... "Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds an acorn."

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am
Profile WWW

The RWF has declined in volume , but its archives are 2nd to none. It is a most valuable source of information and there is always many lurking in its archives. I just kept posting despite negative comments. Had a rule not to engage back and forth more than 3 times and just would move on. Arguers need and love feedback to keep them engaged, and it almost always spirals down.

I have no problem them keeping it on rotary topics.....it is of course named The Rotary Forum. Plenty of other sites suited to other topics. I mean .....if I wanted to discuss "ratting"......I would go on a Tatting forum. I bet most here aren't aware of what tatting is......no fair googling it! Ha. My cousi wife who has my wife's same name....makes a huge income and travels the world because of her tatting business's. My off topic point is if I want to talk tatting....I would go to a tatting sight and not the RWF.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am
All Done Backing Up RWF complete for now anyway.

I will keep this archived download of RWF for my private library.

And update as needed.

This should help keep the controversies to a minimum as to what it is used for.

It takes awhile but anyone can do it for themselves if they want.

:wol

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 pm
bet that filled up some hard drive space.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Keep it all. some day you'll need something to laugh at besides . . Well I'll not bring that up. :bunny :laughing

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm
A Smidgin of it is available on the build treads....Captured something for Animal...Got the Hornet build too if u want me to put it up for you Tim.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Spektre wrote:
Erasing history is akin to hiltler thinking. Take the good with the bad said grandma.

How else are we going to educate those that come after us? History is History.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 am
Flying Wolverine wrote:
A Smidgin of it is available on the build treads....Captured something for Animal...Got the Hornet build too if u want me to put it up for you Tim.
do you mean the Commuter Build?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next