It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New video of My old Dominator 

New video great Slo-mo stuff.
Casey Theriot bought my Dom back in 2019 and then moved to Texas and has been flying the snot out of it ever since. Great to see it being loved.
[Youtube]https://youtu.be/qHMXg61vVHc[/Youtube]

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:49 am

magic dominator, the guy make a nice acceleration on the ground effect before jumping above the hedge of trees

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 am

That slow mo footage looks awesome

Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:22 am
Site Admin

Delta Airways... flight 582 :noidea :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:kissmyass

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:32 am
Site Admin

Sweet. I remember you working on it. Do you wish that you'd kept it?

Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:56 am

NO , I sure did enjoy it for many years, (12 I think) But I really do love my Tango, just the ability to take someone for a ride and share the experience with them has been awesome. Plus the Tango one up has really great performance and I can throw it around almost as easily as the Dom.

Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:26 pm

Hi lads,

it is clear that a tango with a Yamaha engine must be really nice to fly, it power to weight ratio is higher then my 184 kilos 65 hp (rotax 582) monoseater.

Last week there was absolutely no head wind .. my airstrip is only 900m long . at the end of it I would only be at 600 feets ... a bit scary because I have to fly over some places where it would be difficult to reach a field to land in case my engine stopped ...

Also last summer I went to an home-buiders meeting 80 km away .. it was hot and I had to carry a 10 litres extra tank .

it was hot and I had a 45 km head wind during the outward trip and un fortunately a bit of head wing during the return journey.

when I took off for the return journey I decided to fly directly over an 1000 feet hill to avoid loosing time orbiting to gain altitude..

trouble is that there were tall wind turbines on the hill ... and that I had not anticipated the total height of them ... then I was a giant wind turbine blade passing maybe 10 bellow my main wheels ...

it would not have happened to me in a 130 hp tango gyro it is clear ...

our monoseaters are fine to fly 1h30 not far from our base .. and despire their high manoeuvrability they are limited in range

I think on the other hand that a mono with 100 hp engine must be really nice

Wolfy with his mono/ 914 rotax gyro must have a lot of fun ..

I will remaster my mono when I have tested the tandem .. I will make a 6 kilos lighter fairing and I will loose weight myself ...

I don't want to look like a hot air balloon on my wedding pictures .. hahahaha

Elwood, did you find a big change in performances btw your dom and you tango ?

cheers

jmi

Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:16 am

The Tango does perform much better, the Dom with 582 weighed 330lbs if I remember correctly, the Dom would climb out at 700fpm, 900 fpm in winter. (3.556 -4.572 meters per second)
Cruising speed was about 50 mph, burned 6 gal/hr. 23ft rotor.

Tango weighs 620 lbs. climbs out at 1300 fpm summer, 1500 fpm winter cruise comfortable between 60-75 mph, burns 4 gal per hour when flown single. Depending on passenger weight..it performs like the Dom when 2 up. but only burns 5 gal/hr. 28ft rotor.

That is with the engines both spinning at the same RPM, @6800, but the Tango will go to 8200 rpm.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:07 pm

my mono is 34 kilos heavier then your ex dom , it certainly comes from the averso rotor which weights 35 kilos and from the fairing which weights 12 kilos ...

the cruise speed is higher , fuel comsumption is 2 liters smaller then your but it is crazy

the climbing rate is also ridiculous, less then yours

this is the reason why I wanted a twin like yours, I don't know how it will fly we will see ...

Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:34 pm

Here is a nice video of the Old Dom after its total rebuild with the new rotax 582.

Of course it was no slouch with the arctic cat 530 engine..

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:19 pm

Just for fun....The Tango..

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:26 pm

hi,
thank you for this video ... it was like if I was flying
I have the feeling that the motor noise level is reasonable,
is it the case ?
I remember back in times when Mr boyett has displayed a video of it's yaminator tandem the noise level xwae really unacceptable ..
I think that he was using a motor bike engine which rpm is higher then a sled engine like yours
apart from this the tango has a really good looking,
is the frame exactly the same then a MTO or are there differencies ?
cheers
G

Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:37 am

Yes the engine noise is reasonable, I wish it was quieter, but it is what it is..
It is very similar to the MTO, not exact, but very close. but it uses mechanical prerotator and no pneumatics like the MTO does, so it is simpler.
I am glad that you enjoyed the videos.

And by the way the only reason I put the 582 on the Dom was that I thought it would be easier to sell with a Rotax, The arctic cat is on my ultralight gyro project.

Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:54 pm

elwood wrote:
Yes the engine noise is reasonable, I wish it was quieter, but it is what it is..
It is very similar to the MTO, not exact, but very close. but it uses mechanical prerotator and no pneumatics like the MTO does, so it is simpler.
I am glad that you enjoyed the videos.

And by the way the only reason I put the 582 on the Dom was that I thought it would be easier to sell with a Rotax, The arctic cat is on my ultralight gyro project.

How is that going?

David

Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:55 pm

How is what going?
The majority of the noise is the intake "honk" when you are turning 7000 rpm the intake make a lot of noise,
It is not any noisier than a rotax 2 stroke, just a lower pitch.

If you are asking about selling the Dom, I sold it in 2019 to help pay for the Tango. Then I sold my airplane, FlightstarII with HKS 700, and sold my Honda Magna. so I could pay cash.

The wife did not like the flightstar, but she loves the Tango.

Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi,

I think the tango guys have done a good job selling a gyroplane at a reasonnable price.

I remember 12 years ago when I started flying the MTO3 and the magnis were around 60.000 euros

now all those birds cost nearly 100.000 euros ... today I am making nearly the same income then 12 years before

it shows that there is no competition btw the majors makers at all .... they played a price raise tennis match simply raising prices alternatively, progressively but continuously ... of course they always trying to justifiy this by the engine price but it is only partially true ...

technically a lot of people copied the mto3 because the frame plan was available :

it lead many makers (amateurs and pros) to use this plan ,

I did not do this because I had the time to design a gyro, and could take the risk to make errors because I had and still have an other gyro

designing and making a gyro is long .... it forces you to learn many more things then when mounting a kit of copying an existing frame

but I had no alternative because I had personnal requirements .. I wanted huge (but light) shocks ... I wanted the cg to be 2 inches above the prop center, I wanted the main wheels to be nearly under the rotor head .. I wanted many things . ...

but it is pure madness... you did well selling everything and buying the tango.

if my tandem happened to work in a future, it could be an alternative for courageous builders and have a bolted frame to copy.

I think your wife has a safety sensation seeing this bird, also I think she know that gyros a safe flying machines,

good choice

the only bet you did is the engine .. here you took a "risk" which is paying off now ...

Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:10 am
Site Admin

Yes, Jukka sure designed great gyrocopters... luckily he allowed his designs to be used free of patent... it got the ball rolling for Magni... then the others copied the copies... :laughing :kissmyass :wol2 :Wolvie

https://www.tervis.fidisk.fi/JTsite/index.html

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:48 am

Tervamaki tested the first large Horizontal stabilizers on the bensen type gyros to stop the hecatomb ... but the jt5 was a HTL gyroplane

Tervamakki invented nothing, de la cierva had invented the large HS along with CTL design and patented them along with CTL design back in the 30's ...

many of "pio"/bunt over accidents could have been avoided if bensen had only read the De la cireva patents .... Center line thrust design and large Horizontal stabs .. no cierva ever purpoised or bunt over etc ...

in gyroplane all nose down pitch moment causes must be eliminated : low placed fairing or pilot (drag), higher then cg engine thrust ... euro tubs makers have always been defending the contrary ... just for commercial reasons ... and their only justification was the ground stability ... but we are flying and not driving ..

ego of Bensen and Brock were nasty ...

there are 3 types of gyroplanes .

HTL gyros without any HS that can be safely flown by nicely trained gyroplane pilots (not ex fw pilots without long enough training), but they only can be safely flown within wind and turbulence conditions (in my opinion)

HTL gyros with large HS that can be safely flown by nicely trained pilots enven if bad conditions ... with new powerful engine those accidents are back ...

the CTL and LTL gyros that are rock solid in terms of stability simply applying Cierva patents of certified Autogiros .. they can accomodate any powerful engines

Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:23 am

Yes The MTO seems to be a good design, The only thing I do not like is the non castering nose wheel, this has been the cause of many over turns on landings. There is a design in the works to make a simple bolt on to give the tango a castering nose wheel.

I was in the process of building a 2 seat gyro using a flight star cabin since I liked the side by side seating, I did take a test ride in a Trendak, very nice but heavy and under powered and over priced.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:50 pm

elwood wrote:
Yes The MTO seems to be a good design, The only thing I do not like is the non castering nose wheel, this has been the cause of many over turns on landings. There is a design in the works to make a simple bolt on to give the tango a castering nose wheel.

I was in the process of building a 2 seat gyro using a flight star cabin since I liked the side by side seating, I did take a test ride in a Trendak, very nice but heavy and under powered and over priced.

Hi elwood,

when you are landing with cross wind with a non castering front wheel is not an issue provided you don't exert a big feet pressure on your rudder pedals.

as a matter of fact the front wheel will set itself in the gyroplane ground trajectory position unless "you" stress and press the pedal rudder.

if you just press the rudder pedals smoothly the front wheel will counter act your feet pressure and return the rudder pedals to neutral

lastly if you land like a gyro ..(with nearly no ground speed) your front wheel will touch down at no speed or nearly no ground speed

I don't advocate the non castering wheels at all but on the other hand I can say that in france there has been no accident I have learnt about caused my non castering wheels use.

I know that it has happened in the US, but threre are 2 things that can explain this : the first is that they have paved and long runways that make fellows land like airplanes (using the throttle and touching the wheels with ground speed), the second is a transition phénoména, people used to castering front wheels will have issue when using non castoring front wheels and vice and versa

just my 2 cents

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next