It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New Rotax 915is 
Sure to be pricey, but I see one in my future, in a gyro, on floats!!!!
http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-blog/item/43-915is
Only one little problem, not available till 2017.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:39 pm

It will surely come in @ $40,000 or there about I would guess.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 pm
Site Admin

I wonder if they are relying on the same, fragile 2 stroke technology crank? :noidea

I would hold off until some engines run their life cycle and see what the real cost of a rebuild will be.... and what problems they have :pop :Wolvie

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:20 am

Looks to be the same platform, probably just lower compression with more boost and intercooler.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 am
Ronnie Smith in Mississippi offers a conversion of the 912, apparently involves welding the crankshaft amongst other things, that has fuel injection and turbo that has a similar output. (cost about $8000) It's the upgrade I have been looking at to install for a floats machine. Victor Agadzi has it on his float MTO in Pensacola.
I presume it's a pretty similar setup.
They are advertising it as a 2000 hr TBO, and I assume testing is part of the reason for the 2017 release date.
It's the type of Horsepower it seems is needed for floats. Autogyro are also introducing a 130HP Weber option for their aircraft.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 am

It is good to see the technology, but shhesh! for crying out loud the prices are stupid high. And everyone wants to follow suit and raises their prices to catch up to Rotax.
I am not bashing Rotax, they have a great product, great support, I would like to see more players in the market, it is good that MTO is working with Weber, that is a great start competition is good.

I am surprised that rotax is still using the press fit crank, I would like to know the reason..
I know that they use roller bearings on the rod ends, but plain (babbitt) bearings and split connecting rods have been proven also..

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:41 am
elwood wrote:
It is good to see the technology, but shhesh! for crying out loud the prices are stupid high. And everyone wants to follow suit and raises their prices to catch up to Rotax.
I am not bashing Rotax, they have a great product, great support, I would like to see more players in the market, it is good that MTO is working with Weber, that is a great start competition is good.

I am surprised that rotax is still using the press fit crank, I would like to know the reason..
I know that they use roller bearings on the rod ends, but plain (babbitt) bearings and split connecting rods have been proven also..

The aircraft world is just like the medical world; take the same product say it's for medical or aviation use, then triple the price. Likely the same liability lawyers responsible for both.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:44 am

Yep, the boroscopes that we use on jet engine inspections are made by the same company that makes them for the Colon inspections....go figure, But you are right, I am sure the medical ones are 8 times the price.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 am
Site Admin

loftus wrote:
Ronnie Smith in Mississippi offers a conversion of the 912, apparently involves welding the crankshaft

The trouble with welding the crank, is you can never replace the bearings.... if it needs bearings at TBO (or before...) You have to buy another crank and have that welded too :noidea

If you have a prop ground strike :badluck (minor not devastating) .... good luck straightening it..... :noidea :puke :Wolvie

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]