It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Did Mike Burton crash? 
Site Admin

http://kdvr.com/2015/01/07/2-men-surviv ... sa-county/

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 pm
Site Admin

It took the rescue group 5 hours to get to them? Oh my.....damn.
http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines ... 26481.html

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:16 pm

OUCH...

NOT a good way to start off the new year.

:cry :cry :cry

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:14 pm
Site Admin

The report said
Quote:
The two men are from Utah and were traveling back to Spanish Fork.

And that's Mike's home turf.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:20 pm
Site Admin

According to the other site it was Mike, he busted a vertebrae but should be ok.... :like The lengths people go to to get a ride in a helicopter :noidea

Lucky he and the other dude were ok :like :yoda2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:27 pm
Site Admin

Oh that's bad! Mike is one of the nicest guys.....
Yes I read it in the report that the other guy refused medical treatment.
It didn't say what aircraft it was though.
I though Mike was Autogyro dealer.....????

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Guys- The more I read thus stuff, the gut feeling I was going to eventually ball mine up would have just gotten stronger.

Sorry to hear about Mike....but thank God he will recover. He is one ol laid back person....very nice guy.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:05 pm

About had a heart-attack downunder!!!!When I saw the "threadline" Gyro down in CO.... I about died with dread :cry ... I'd seen Airgyro / Michael's posting & pics about flying to Telluride on Facebook ... who else COULD it be!!!??? :noidea

SO Thankful it was described as a hard landing in tough terrain & Michael has great gyro expertise & a cool head & one of the best instructors around with emergency landing routines /training ... he's the man to mitigate a real potential disaster ... to a survivable - "walk-away" one!
I'm sure his flight planning - ATC communications & proper pilotage skills ... allowed the search-rescue response to be optimal also!

So thankful ..PTL & God bless for a quick recovery & full healing! (Buggered-up backs are a "b-ich"!!!)

Look forward to the malfunction cause analysis & discussion!

Been reading the marvelous ASRA publication GYRONEWS here ... good reviews of some of the acc/incidents down here the last cuppla years! ....Learning ... Learning! :yo:

Best to Mike & Josh .... speedy recovery!

I think some one said it was the StarWars themed Calidus ( had 912 engine) .... I'm looking for the Facebook pics ... I see it WAS the N50NE StarWars Calidus!
ICING ????? gotta need a 914 for that winter - high alt flying!!!!

PHARQING SLOW INTERNET GRRRRRRR :shoot :die

Desmon's update...

[QUOTE=Texasautogyro;595883]I was contacted by text from his phone this afternoon.
I think it might have been his wife. He was expected to be released this afternoon evening with a special back brace to recover in the Provo area about 200 miles away. Yes he did break a vertebrae. He is expected to make a full recovery.
Having had two of those back surgeries my self in the last two years I can only imagine how he is feeling right now.
They thank all those who are keeping him in there prayers.[/QUOTE]

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 pm

This sucks!! Glad they both are ok.. Michael is one of the most friendliest and great guys I have ever meet.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ARFLYBOY wrote:
This sucks!! Glad they both are ok.. Michael is one of the most friendliest and great guys I have ever meet.

If only he was as good looking as Gabs, he would be perfect :laughing :laughing

It is certainly a great relief to us all that he hasn't suffered more than he has.... it could have been so much worse :eek :badluck

I sure hope his injury heals perfectly and quickly.... I am looking forward to hearing from him what went wrong, when he is up to it :like :yoda2 :Wolvie

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 am

MadMuz wrote:
ARFLYBOY wrote:

If only he was as good looking as Gabs, he would be perfect :laughing :laughing

It is certainly a great relief to us all that he hasn't suffered more than he has.... it could have been so much worse :eek :badluck

I sure hope his injury heals perfectly and quickly.... I am looking forward to hearing from him what went wrong, when he is up to it :like :yoda2 :Wolvie

Amen Muz!!! Gabor is pretty good looking :laughing I meet Michael at Mentone 2012 he gave me my first gyro ride ever in Chris Lords Calidus. Hope he recovers quick and gets back in the saddle soon. His pilot skills and attitude saved them both. Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You guys crack me up. Nobody is as good looking as me. Period. On the other hand it had to be a serious save!!!!! :eek

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:21 am
Site Admin

Here is some more info..... evidently it was a case of flying into rising ground at the end of a box canyon? Can cabin class gyros not turn as quickly/instantly as a more basic gyro? I have seen folks in Eurotubs throw them back the other way (180 degree about face) pretty quickly? Normally it is only airplanes that cant turn in dead end canyons (or cant climb the rising ground) Wind, weather and density altitude would obviously play a big part too .....

His mate in another machine he was flying the trip with saw it happen, but couldn't stop of course :eek but thank goodness it ended well :like :yoda2

http://www.kjct8.com/home/headlines/287 ... =phone&c=y

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:49 pm
Site Admin

Good find thanks. Ughhhh. Sad. Shit happens. It had to be some sudden crap realization. One guy easily climbed out. Two people not so much I guess. OUCH

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:16 pm
Sounds like a mountain flying issue, rather than a mechanical issue from what I've read so far. Very glad to hear they are both OK. Broken vertebra is no fun but sure beats the more drastic alternatives.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Mountain winds can play tricks on you... it is a whole art of flying.

Owner/builder of

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm
Site Admin

I feel the HP of the Rotax powered machines at altitude are very marginal!!!!
We badly need an alternative with more punch and trustworthy track record.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Gabor wrote:
I feel the HP of the Rotax powered machines at altitude are very marginal!!!!
We badly need an alternative with more punch and trustworthy track record.

I have wondered that for a long time...

100-110-120(-130?) HP seems a little light for the aircraft.
OTOH: fitting a Subbie with 200 HP might be a bit of work.
Anyone tried to fit a Lycomings or Continental on the back of a EuroTub?

Owner/builder of

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 pm
i think like you on this gab this happened in the cold think of the difference that can happen or the power lost in 80f day with this same full 2place close cab machine, the 914 is the 80hp with a turbo, suppose if rotax dont put turbo on the 100hp model to make a 145hp=fear or boum!, he have 141cm2 more, with a little reduction in compression, that can put a 45% increase in output, like the small 80hp turbo that make the 115, i think its beacause they have test the lower end, the bothom end can be the same betwen the 80hp 100hp and the 115hp, its all the same stroke, just the bore change beetwen the 80 and the 100, and i think rotax start with the 80hp model only in the begining, if the 115 is an development extension of the 80, and they think the 115hp push the max to the 80hp crank, they just have to increase the durability of the crankshaft they have and can make the same with the 100hp than with the 80hp and make a good 145hp, money money, or fear to put the turbo on the 100hp model......

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Loss of sea level performance, add heat, less manifold pressure, a good flow on a wind down side of a ridge ,Oopssy. :bunny

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next