It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hughs 500 down in New Zealand 
Site Admin

An agricultural spray chopper crashed, ended on a road so possibility of wires involved?

Gotta watch out for wires :eek Wires may not have caused this one, but please be careful everyone :whip

:wol

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11349354

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:22 pm
Site Admin

ouch....condolences to his family.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, very sad.... the news didn't mention a wire strike, I am only speculating.... but for the machine to end up on a road strongly suggests to me that wires might be involved :cry

Especially a chopper with a boom out each side..... either a wire or a fence..... the machine obviously hasn't crashed from a great height (about power line height would be my guess) which sort of convinces me there is a strong likelihood.

Wires can catch experienced pilots out, so it just reinforces that we have to really keep our eyes open :eek Most of us don't usually fly THAT low, the ones we need to see are the ones between hills, in valleys, gorges across rivers and all that with no obvious poles to give away their position..... and hot weather they are lower than cold weather, so they aren't even in the same place (height) every time :eek :drama

If anyone has a 'close encounter' or knows where there is a hidden 'gem' I reckon we should have a sticky thread on here so people can add hard to see wires that might trap others one day? :like :pop

:wol

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 am

Looks like spraying low and snagged a boom on a fence (left boom?) and it rolled left pilot side down. ouch.

Aspin out here lost two going ass over tea kettle( snagged skids,) Both pilot walked away.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]