It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 It's almost done :) 
So I am an :bitch
:fickyou

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:51 pm
Site Admin

All I can say since I don't know anything about anything .... it's either the machine that is good or Lofty is a freaking great pilot keeping me alive and aloft all this time.
:pbunny :bunny

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:55 pm
Site Admin

Gabor wrote:
All I can say since I don't know anything about anything .... it's either the machine that is good or Lofty is a freaking great pilot keeping me alive and aloft all this time.
:pbunny :bunny

Maybe it is just a hell of a lot of luck? :noidea :like :pop

I am not saying torque roll and prop effect aren't things to respect.... just that whatever machine you switch to flying, like going for a blast in a friends machine.... you need to carefully assess what the TR and PE are, so you know what you are dealing with.

Back in the 1990's I rode my Ducati from Canberra to Brisbane where family friends had a motorcycle shop and I had the use of a Z1300 Kawasaki for a bit over a week. The bike had a 6 cylinder, very torquey engine and was shaft drive,,,, I had never ridden a shaft drive bike for any length of time before, so it was a bit un nerving to begin with, if leaning left and decelerating, the bike wanted to lean onto the ground and you had to hold it up, when leaning left and accelerating, the bike wanted to stand up and you had to hold it down in the corner. Same the other way, lean right and decelerate and it wanted to stand up and accelerating to the right, the bike wanted to lean hard to the right.... my point is, the difference between the shaft drive bike and the chain drive were completely different... but after a few hours on the 1300, it was easy to anticipate how to counter what I knew it would do. The hardest thing was getting back on my Ducati after a week on the Z13.... it felt weird without the shaft gyroscopic effect :realcrazy :laughing

So, with a gyro, you just need to feel it out, see what its charactoristics are when powering up or powering down and whatever stick or rudder movements you have to do for whichever gyro you happen to be flying, just do it.... I wouldn't be trying to make some whiz bang, fancy tail to try to counter the torque effect.... just learn what the effect is, how to lessen it and just fly it :like :laughing

:bigballs :wol2 :Wolvie

:fickyou 'all

Edit: Like, with my machine with the turbo EA81 and 54" prop, the thing would want to turn right when you power on hard and when you back off, the nose wanted to go yo the left.... but not as bad as some of the rotax 582 and 618 machines with bigger 3 blade props (but the opposite directions) but the strangest gyro I flew had an EA81 with an NSI free spinning psru that the prop/torque effect was quite noticeable powering on, but backing off, there was none because of the freewheeling prop.... :eek that was real weird :laughing

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 am
I agree, lots to do with what you are used to.
Except for a few rides in Dave Seace's Dominator, one in the Apollo, and one in the Titanium - the only gyro I have trained in and flown is an MTO. I think also learning to fly with Des helped a lot.
Having said all that, I think the Eurotub designs are a lot more well behaved than they are given credit for.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:59 am
Site Admin

Exactly my friend. I look at things from a different angle. I am approaching from the human element angle. If I can't afford them, the home built is the alternative. Not knocking them!!!! There are some damn good home built machines that put serial production to shame. (I don't have to mention Jake's or Scotty's machines and parts right?) So yeah there are some pretty damn good home builds out there. But if you are not Scotty or Jake and you just want to freaking pull it out of the barn and poke some holes in the sky safely instead of building a machine for a year or two...... No brainer!
Like them or hate them unless you have an agenda......you have to admit that the flown hours on those things are pretty impressive! Perfect? By all means no! Safe and easy to fly? Phuck yeah!
The best thing is that you have a shitload out there being pre-flighted on regular basis and if some concern arises you get to know about it and can keep an eye on the problem areas.
:wol2

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:08 am
Site Admin

You really cant compare euro tubs and homebuilt gyros at all... they are generally so different in construction/materials and everything else....

They both do a different job, and as Lofty says, not everyone can drag themselves away from boobies long enough to build one.... so it is better for him to fondle titties all day and buy a factory machine :like (lucky barstarge he is) :punch

Some people don't have the cash to outlay to buy a posh limo gyro, so they have to build or buy a homebuilt....

But, trying to compare them is impossible... like trying to compare a dirt bike paddock basher with a big touring hardly rideable....

The ultimate would be one of each.... one for going places and one for larking around the home patch, annoying as many people as possible.... without racking up airframe hours on the euro-beauty :like :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:47 am

You are exactly right Muz...and the good thing is that gyros will hopefully become more mainstream, more training will be available, and used ones will come on the market, and more people can enjoy...It is hard to find the time to build, especially when you are making every bracket, axle, mount etc.....Look at how many gyro kits you could buy 25 years ago, now it is like 2 or 3 in the US, the euro gyro is the only viable player to grow the market....
There will always be those that want to build their own, just like with cars/hot rods and motorcycles.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 am

Gabor Congradulations. Glad to hear yours will be coming soon. Pick a color yet? Like you I will fly what works for me and Iam not a beleaver in the cruciform tail theory either. It's nice to see the new ride I like the mirrors myself will look into adding them to my AR1 in the future.

Sincerely SWilliams

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:42 pm
Site Admin

Thank you Scott I appreciate it. I am thorn between yellow, orange, red. Florida is not too kind to any darker color. The intensity of the sun really beats up anything that is not white. But having to fly against blue sky and green vegetation most of the year lands itself for some screaming bright color. As for tall tail tales ..... I am with you. I am just not convinced the differences are as great as they have been made out to be. And I am very hard headed and want to see if for myself being actually demonstrated. We do not have that in any form but in the form of speculation!!!!!
I am glad you have gone with the Apollo. It's a very nice machine! I wish you long long pleasant hours of flying.
Pictures are welcome :like

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 pm
I want you all to know....I will still have an ArrowCopter someday.......... :twopennies :D

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Yeah I do beleave the Arrowcopter is the prettiest girl at the dance . Any Dance. But she is way out of my budget. Gabor I went with Toyota blue pearl. Iam going to use silver design on it .

Sincerely SWilliams

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm
Site Admin

That should be a nice contrast Scott. When are you taking delivery?
They make it here 5 minutes from where I live :like

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:44 pm
Site Admin

SWilliams wrote:
Pick a color yet?

Evidently Gabs is getting one in Fuchsia..... so he will 'blend in' in Florida :noidea :laughing

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:25 pm
Hummmm......Flamingo can be it's name-o. :ultragay

Fits the fuchsia not pink moniker.

:twopennies :pbunny :plike :laughing

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:06 pm
Site Admin

:wol2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 pm
Sweeeeeeeeetttt!!!

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Hey! That's not a Chinese scooter master cylinder is it?
:laughing

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 am
Site Admin

Well Dirk's (Liondyke) SC has been test flown today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm
I wasn't sure about that scheme but I think it's kindof kuuuuuwwl now. Looks like a Hornet ready to sting ya!!!! HAha.....just look at that engine bay area......
kindof a dangerous don't mess with me look....

Wut ya all think?

LIKE!!! :like

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:30 pm
Site Admin

more goods

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next