It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 It's almost done :) 
Site Admin

OH OK Roger that. I think I have once mentioned not being a blind follower of the tall tail supremacy :rofl

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:02 pm
Site Admin

Gabor wrote:
OH OK Roger that. I think I have once mentioned not being a blind follower of the tall tail supremacy :rofl

Ditto that.... I prefer the tail to be further back and in cleaner air on a cruiser/cross country gyro and I never had any issues with the V tail further back throwing them around either.... but those who fly tall tails hard, like Roy D would find the tall tail more agile.... I have heard tall tails described as like 'power steering' .... I personally find them a bit light. :noidea

The beauty of our world is that you fly what you think is best for you :like I don't care, as long as there is something on the back so when you touch down, you are pointing in the direction you want to be :like :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:10 pm
MadMuz wrote:
Gabs, Lofty means a tail like a tall tail with a HS in the middle is like a cross/cruciform...

Lofty, A tail further back from the prop blast and the HS riding in cleaner air will assist to resist some torque roll... but I am not totally convinced that a tall tail with the HS at center of the prop nor the Avo tail with the angled HS have much affect on torque roll anyway.... every action has an equal and opposite reaction.....

To me, the best way of reducing torque roll is to use a gearbox rather than a belt.... so the torque from the engine and the prop going the other direction cancel each other out a bit, whereas, if you have the engine and prop going the same direction, the torque reaction from both add together..... It would be even better if the downgoing blade of the prop is going down on the side the rotor is retreating too I reckon....

Why are you so worried about torque roll suddenly Lofty? Are you having trouble with annoying orange? Or is it just because of the Dubai accident? If so, I don't think that had anything whatsoever to do with torque roll.... so just shut up and fly :whip :laughing :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

No not having trouble; just amusing myself.
Annoying Orange is behaving very nicely thank you.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm
Site Admin

loftus wrote:

All you have to do now, is get the backseat beefcake to be behaving very nicely and it will be even better.... :like

Is it true after about 10 minutes into any flight, he keeps asking "are we there yet? Are we there yet?" :noidea (Just what I heard) :laughing

We never got a report on the tail wheel.... how is that going? Awesome? :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm
MadMuz wrote:
loftus wrote:

All you have to do now, is get the backseat beefcake to be behaving very nicely and it will be even better.... :like

Is it true after about 10 minutes into any flight, he keeps asking "are we there yet? Are we there yet?" :noidea (Just what I heard) :laughing

We never got a report on the tail wheel.... how is that going? Awesome? :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Tail wheel is perfect.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 am

Torque roll is very real, I rebuilt a rotax 532 on a KB-3, it belonged to Debbie Bishop (used to date Steve McG..)
And during break in runs I had the gyro tied down and I was in the seat, and at upper RPMs it would lift one main wheel off the ground
trying to flip the gyro, so there is torque acting on the airframe at all times, equal and opposite reactions. Even with a gearbox or belt.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:46 am
Site Admin

Scotty I love you like a brother......so let's break that whole experience down.
You were on the ground sitting in the seat with all your 57-58 lbs right?
You were not hanging from your teeter bolt having the weight supported buy the spinning rotor while the prop was trying to twist the frame on the retrieving blade side......
I know you know where I am going with this........
Now you are blasting your horizontal with huge airflow.
Sure it will create lift.
Am I not seeing it right?
:noidea

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:34 pm
Site Admin

Meanwhile at the SkyCruiser autogyro ltd in Hungary they are working even on Saturday......

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Gabor wrote:
Scotty I love you like a brother......so let's break that whole experience down.
You were on the ground sitting in the seat with all your 57-58 lbs right?
You were not hanging from your teeter bolt having the weight supported buy the spinning rotor while the prop was trying to twist the frame on the retrieving blade side......
I know you know where I am going with this........
Now you are blasting your horizontal with huge airflow.
Sure it will create lift.
Am I not seeing it right?
:noidea

Those wacky Hungarians......Lookin good!

Anyhow all I am saying is that there is torque being applied to the airframe at all times, regardless of the tail or anything else,
In an unloaded rotor situation that could be bad,
But with the tall tail thing vs short tail, it is all in what you want, with a tall tail you just steer on takeoff and landing since it cancels out P factor.
On a short tail depending on how it is setup you may have to apply left or right rudder on takeoff and landing to compensate for P factor.
I prefer a fin and rudder type tail, not a fan of flying tails, tall or short, too much yaw back and forth.

We'll have to talk about this more at Bensen Days. :sf-fight

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Pearl White .... NICE !!!

Back in 1976 I painted my first Pearl White car , used jewelry grade pearls ground to fine dust , put a couple of ounces of the powder in the clear-coat over a white base. Get the sun just right and it looked like an actual pearl .

Bought the pearl powder from Jon Kosmoski's House of Kolors store on Hollywood Boulevard near Sunset strip.

Jon started out in Minneapolis in the 1950's

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:44 pm

elwood wrote:

Anyhow all I am saying is that there is torque being applied to the airframe at all times, regardless of the tail or anything else,
But with the tall tail thing vs short tail, it is all in what you want, with a tall tail you just steer on takeoff and landing since it cancels out P factor.
On a short tail depending on how it is setup you may have to apply left or right rudder on takeoff and landing to compensate for P factor.
We'll have to talk about this more at Bensen Days

when you talk, torque and P factor are two different things!

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:37 pm
Site Admin

elwood wrote:
I prefer a fin and rudder type tail, not a fan of flying tails, tall or short, too much yaw back and forth.

We'll have to talk about this more at Bensen Days. :sf-fight

Agreed! I am not saying either that there isn't a torque factor in play. I just question its overstated significance of it, whereas other very very respectable aeronautical researchers disagree also. All I am saying is that with the increase of the sales of the Eurotubes by their sheer numbers being used as teaching tools would cause the triple number of accidents of the Dennis Fetters made no horizontal tab original Aircommand with its "clean break away mast"! There are just too damn many MTO, Calidus, Cavalon,ELA,Magni out there being very forgiving to the beginner hands like mine.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:39 pm
There's just something pure about pearl white!

I had a CBR600F4 Honda sportbike that was done in pearl white with gloss black rims and accents and it was a looker...girls really liked it too!!

Is this going to be yours Gabor? We can call it the Great White Hope!!! Or would that be racist???!!! :laughing

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes torque and P factor are different things entirely.... I think I got confused since I had been reading the argument over there (RWF) about the Dubai crash....My bad.....
I do not think that there is anything wrong with the new Eurogyros.......Being that they are longer than a standard single place gyro makes them more stable too.

Even Jim Vanek got rid of the tall tail on the SCII and went back the the triple vertical stab moved back.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Flying Wolverine wrote:
There's just something pure about pearl white!

I had a CBR600F4 Honda sportbike that was done in pearl white with gloss black rims and accents and it was a looker...girls really liked it too!!

Is this going to be yours Gabor? We can call it the Great White Hope!!! Or would that be racist???!!! :laughing

It would only be racist if it was painted black got special treatment and didn't work after all the $$$ thrown at it.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm
Site Admin

I reckon It looks like a sperm? :noidea What is the gyro world cumming to? :noidea :laughing :pop :rofl :wol2 :Wolvie

I agree Scotty.... torque reaction will always be present no matter what tail you use.... so why fight it, just accept it and get on with the job.... any attempt to eliminate it with fixed angled HS or whatever will only reduce it at a certain speed, not across the board in its entirety :laughing :head

:fickyou

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:31 pm
Site Admin

YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HAVE ALREADY SAID IT CLEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gabor wrote:
This one .... as I have mentioned it.....goes to China.

I have talked to Jim on the phone about the tail and the effectiveness having them stick out and back and the airflow not being blocked by the pilot or the body of the aircraft is making a HUUUUGE difference.
I trust Jim's opinion since he has actually built it flown it and went to the good ole fashioned half tail.
I think I can say his machines have been flying around for a good while too with some pretty damn good track records.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:40 pm
Site Admin

Good on him.... it doesn't matter what tail you choose, as long as it is effective and does the job... who cares, when in the drivers seat, you cant see it anyway :noidea

As long as it is there and working.... all is good :laughing

Is that your one Gabs? I thought the grey one went to china? :noidea :dizzy :rofl :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:18 pm
Site Admin

:fickyou MUZ :fickyou

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:26 pm
Site Admin

Yo Muz do you think Lofty is developing some kind of phobia about his screaming tangerine being HTL, Half tail and not compensated for yaw nor torque roll? :rofl ROFLMAO
That thing flies like a freaking arrow! :first

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next